• ATI

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Geforce

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
okay, noticed a few things here. One, the 360 is supposed to have a more powerful GPU then the PS3, but it lacks in CPU instructions. Reason being is in its unique architecture. Also, heard a comment earlier in the thread of the dx10 being out, HOWEVER, the 360 uses some dx9 and dx10 ideas, but is in its ownright uterly and totaly unique. You can NOT compare the two, to be honest. You also could not just pop one of these processors into a computer, much like you couldn't do with the cell. The reason, again, is the architecture. Many people are making the VERY large mistake of comparing gigaflops/teraflops and other speeds, well this is only a small part of the whole picture. 'When it comes to actual, real-world performance, teraflops are useless (and to a certain extent, so are megahertz and bandwidth numbers). It all depends on how efficient the architecture is and how well the software can take advantage of it.' As of now, the architecture is VERY effecient (in instructional execution, that is not in the time it takes to program) and like stated by others, has an incredible future when the hardware is taken full advantage of. Also, as far as it taking a long time to program, most companies are employing more programmers on a single project, thus the increase in game prices. Now, onto how long it will take for the PC to catch up. You MUST understand the architecture of this system to fully appreciate it, that includes how the cache system works in conjunction with the GPU (amazing bit of engineering), environemental synthesis, thread handling, unified shading, etc. For a PC to do this, you are looking at MANY changes having to be made. A MBD to support this architecture, the machine level instructions able to support many different developers of graphics cards, think about the problems that will arise making not just one system with such a specialized MBD, but being able to make MANY various card manufacturers communicate. The new architecture and low level languages make this a daunting task. So, not only the technological level is causing a road block for this, but the many different types of developers and making the os stable enough to handle it. Not to mention, will the major public do a complete overhaul of not just a processor, but new everything that will not be as user friendly to swap parts for as its predecessor?

Here is a little tidbit about FP:

Ps3 will have one processor, one core, and 7 dsp "processors" which don't do squat for gaming since Floating point calculations are for streaming

Regardless of all of this, the PS3 isn't out, the specs listed for it is not completely confirmed, so what it all comes down to is between the 360 and PS3, we dont know because we are unsure of the official specs. The 360 vs computer, well the computer will take longer than normal to catch up because of the unique architecture.

Wow. That was perfect. Where did you get all that info? Though before now, no one mentioned the Cell having one core. Everyone, from little insignificant magazines to major reviewers, said that the Cell was one processor with 8 cores (1 disabled for redundancy [incase one failed?]) and each running at 3.2GHz. Basically, a 7-core processor running at 3.2GHz. So I'd like to see where you got that info.

Wow, that's a lot of details, good job. This is what I am getting at right now, the PS3 has a better CPU but 360 has a better GPU.

killians45 said:
Many people are making the VERY large mistake of comparing gigaflops/teraflops and other speeds, well this is only a small part of the whole picture. 'When it comes to actual, real-world performance, teraflops are useless (and to a certain extent, so are megahertz and bandwidth numbers). It all depends on how efficient the architecture is and how well the software can take advantage of it.'

This is what I was trying to explain.

Another thing to remember is if you dont have any cell specific devices in your house, and want to take full advantage of distributive cell you better have a broadband connection as I can see a problem with this architecture over a phone line. Here is some indepth info on the Cell:

http://www.blachford.info/computer/Cell/Cell1_v2.html

Note, this is the Cell, not the full PS3. As I had stated above about the PS3 all this is 2nd hand!! The final product is not out, so who knows what types of changes maybe at hand so don't take this as final word. All the info I got (some I couldn't find again) where not taken from either MS site or sony, as I would see them a bit biased towards there own systems. Good place to look is arstechnica. I know there is a supposed "official spec" out, but as the release date is so far away everything is subject to change for sony.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/617/617951p1.html

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/cpu/cell-1.ars/2

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/cpu/cell-2.ars

Now the big reason that the cell is NOT a multi processor is because the logic it is handling is not general purpose/function. Not to say it isn't powerful, it is but FP is not the end all be all of gaming, and in all actuallity is a very small part in the grand scheme of things. Thing to note, supposedly the cell is even more of a pain to program on then the 360, and it's supposedly hard to write.

Now the question is.. Can you stuff that Xbox 360 or Ps3 in your entertainment center and not have it Melt a hole through your floor with how hot it'l get.. I wonder if with their compact size they'll have proper ventilation/cooling...

I still dont get why flanker is still throwing out paper sheet numbers. What i was trygin to say was that thoses numbers were crunched in a calculators not real performance. Remeber the emotion engine? how great is was goona be? how is was the fastest cpu in the world? Remember when they said that it was the frisrt 128 bit processor and that 128 bit was 200x greater then 32 bit? remember all the propaganda. remember that the ps2 could do 70 million and the xbox 125 million polygons per seconds? now they not even near 20 million. See and if u shut ur mouth and think about what you sayign then u will realize that thoses numbers mean shit. Is all marketing. There was an atircle about the ps3 vs the xbox360 too see who got the best hardware. in a paragraph they qouted sony and microsoft marketing saying that the xbox360 can do "at least" 1 Gflop. Then sony came out and said the ps3 can 2 Gflop. Which one is better? how u compare the 2 when the xbox360 can do at least 1. That means that it can do 2 maybe 3 or 4. But the ps3 can only do 2. Flanker dude shut up and let the fukign consoles when they come out do the talking.

and if cant understand this niether i give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom