Conroe Shortage? - Page 4 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 06-11-2006, 12:44 PM   #31 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

all of you have bought into Intel marketing at this point, there are gonna be plenty of these cores circulating in due time but thanks to the hype and marketing that many of you have done for Intel, muchlike the rumour of 939 opterons being discontinued, they're just trying to get everyone scrambling out to get them and I can already tell it's working

as for keeping most of their fabs producing netburst, that makes perfect sense as well. If you knew absolutely nothing about processors would you rather buy a 3GHz Pentium D or a 2Ghz Core Cuo? Enthusiast market is a very small minority of the market and Intel isn't gonna be trying to please the enthusiast market, they're trying to please the resellers namely Dell, Compaq, HP etc.

I still have a huge feeling many of you are going to be in for a real letdown, this isn't the same thing as when the venices were released or the opterons for that many where there were already a wide assortment of tested and tweaked doubt many of you are going end up with a nice core but a crap board to go with it because you didn't wait and let this stuff mature...NEVER ever buy leading edge technology as it will almost always be buggy

that said, your money...I don't particularily care as I am fine with my current processor and couldn't give a crap if it takes longer than 10 seconds to calculate a number

Intel C2D E6320 / AMD Athlon X2 3800+
Gigabyte 965P DS3 / DFI nF4 Ultra-D
2GB OCZ Gold PC2-6400 / 2GB OCZ Gold PC4000
eVGA 8800GTS 320MB / eVGA 6800GS 256MB
150GB Raptor / 74GB Raptor
2x500GB / 320GB
OCZ GameXStreme 850w / OCZ StealthXStream 600w
Old 06-11-2006, 12:55 PM   #32 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Originally posted by toxicity_27
Do you have a link to prove this? I'm not saying you're lying, I would just like a link to back this up..

Old 06-11-2006, 01:37 PM   #33 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Conroes will not go only in the high-end Dell systems simply because they are not expensive. Any budget Dell PC can incorporate E6500.

That's correct, intel couldn't care less about private pc builders because there is no real market value there. At the same time people who have no clue about CPUs will likely be so clueless as to not buy a computer based on GHz and thus choose NetBurst over Conroe. More intelligent or simply parsimonious consumers will either consult with friends or just call Dell and find out that Conroe is superior.

I have never built my own computer and the belief that Conroe will have a lot of bugs is just another reason why AM2 is better for now. I wouldn't care about getting a processor right now either (the best time would be around the beginning of 2007), but given that going to AM2 from my archaic computer is going to give me more than 200% improvement, it's totally worthwhile for me. I haven't upgraded since 2002!
Old 06-11-2006, 02:01 PM   #34 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

No one is talking about a delay in Conroe's release. It will be released on the 23rd just fine.
Releasing something, and having actually availability, are two totally different things.

I'm like Gaara. I could care less about the new stuff, and probably won't for a while. The new boards are going to be a nightmare for the most part, but the earliest cores sometimes turn out the be the overslocking monsters.

Once all this has matured, or maybe the next generation, I'll actually consider buying.

Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / EVGA GTX 760 2GB
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB / WD Red 3TB
G.SKILL Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3 1600 - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win7 Ult 64-bit - Func MS3 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 06-11-2006, 10:47 PM   #35 (permalink)
Junior Techie

For those who wanted to see the info on DUAL core AM2 price cuts:

I hope that they will happen in the next week or two. July is too late.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:28 AM   #36 (permalink)
Lord Techie

good post gaara . i agree completely, although my vice is envy so i may not be able to help myself on the "couldn't give a crap" bit. Dell will mostly ship netburst based pc's for quite a while until Intel's marketing begins to leave the minds of the public and they realise clock is not king.
Visit my website -
"Guitar is cool. If you don’t think the guitar is cool, then you’re stupid. And I will fight you! " - Brendon Small
I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages
You can contact me for Forum related issues via PM only.

Old 06-12-2006, 08:00 PM   #37 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Originally posted by Excelsius
For those who wanted to see the info on DUAL core AM2 price cuts:

I hope that they will happen in the next week or two. July is too late.
It's going to happend after Conroe gets released.
<br><br><font color=\"black\"><b>There's No Place Like </b></font><font color=\"red\"><b></b></font><br>
Old 06-12-2006, 09:12 PM   #38 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Yeah, it seems so. I have gone ahead and am building a new system with AM2. I would appreciate any input (another thread: here ).

Closed Thread