Conroe question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_Wall_117

In Runtime
Hello all, it's been a while since I've posted here. I'm a community leech though, so expect me only to post when I have a problem or a question ;). I'm only kidding, this is a nice little community and I will try to make it a habit to post here and contribute.

Anyway, I have a problem, or rather, a query: For my new Gaming PC build, would an E6300 Conroe be enough? I am going to be using an 8800GTS Video Card and some Corsair DDR2 - 667 RAM, would the E6300 present a bottleneck? I am somewhat sure that it wont, seeing how it can beat an Athlon FX-67 (when the E6300 is overclocked to at least 2.1GHz), and even the FX-67 saw no signs of CPU limitations in real world gaming tests. Now even I know that the E6300's performance will limit my 3DMark score by a couple hundred, but I don't care about that. I am building my PC to Play Games, not to run tests and get a bigger e-***** because I can gloat about my score.

I have also heard of situations in which the E6300 can be overclocked to 3.0GHz on stock cooling! I'm getting a decent board too ( ASUS P5B Intel P965 Express ATX), so I should be able to overclock pretty high, providing that I can keep things cool. That won't be a problem though, because the case I am getting will provide more than ample airflow. It has two 120MM fans - one in front (intake), one in back (exhaust), plus one 80MM on the side panel blowing cool air straight on to the processor's heatsink.

Sorry if it seems like I'm gloating about it, but I am not. I am posing a serious question, and besides, this board is full of enthusiasts, and some are bound to have better builds than that.

actually i read somewhere that you need the best proccessor out for the 8800gtc to perform at its max.

but a e6300 and a 8800gts would still be bad ***.

get ddr2 800 so you can overclock it

fade2black2004 said:
actually i read somewhere that you need the best proccessor out for the 8800gtc to perform at its max.

but a e6300 and a 8800gts would still be bad ***.

get ddr2 800 so you can overclock it

Well, it should overclock fine with DDR2 - 667, but I guess 800 will be even better. How would I know what DDR2 - 800 RAM is compatable with my motherboard?

I have another question: Will I need a floppy drive with my new build? I am going to be using an SATA 3GB/s hard drive, and I know that windows needs drivers for that upon installation. Are there drivers I can load straight from the motherboard itself, or will I need a floppy drive?

im using a sata 3gb/s hdd and i just plugged it in a formatted it when i installed windows and it worked right away

fade2black2004 said:
im using a sata 3gb/s hdd and i just plugged it in a formatted it when i installed windows and it worked right away

Thanks man.

You did say earlier that you would need like an X6700 conroe or something more powerful to unlock the 8800's power, but since I'm using the "little brother" counterpart, will I see a drastic difference, or are we talking 1-5 FPS here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom