Conroe E6600 System for under $1k?

Status
Not open for further replies.

uthscsa19

Baseband Member
I will be wanting to build a computer in about 2 months that will be based around an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, but only if I can make it in under $1000. I am having to spend other money on photography equipment, and this computer will be used to edit my photographs. I am currently running Linux to see whether it is feasible, so I may not have to buy windows. However, I don't know the prices on some of the things I need, so I thought I'd ask some of you that have already priced your builds.

Here is what I want:

CPU: E6600: ~$325 Seems to be the best bang/buck
Mother board: $? Would like something that would overclock well, but not overly pricey
Video Card: 6600GT: ~$150 Its a photoediting computer running linux, not for gaming
Ram: 1-2GB: $? Dont know whether I need DDR800 memory, or how much it should cost. What memory is needed for Conroe?
Case/PS: Antec Sonata w/450w PSU: ~$100: Simple and efficient case
Optical Drive: DVD-burner: ~$40
HD: 120-160GB SATA 3.0GB: ~$80 Just to start out with, Motherboard will hopefully support more Hard-drives to increase storage.
Artic Silver: ~$15 Never build a computer without it.

Think that covers everything. $695 so far, and I'm sure I can search abit for cheaper prices on some things. I still need a Mobo and Ram. Would like suggestions on what to get for these two, and others I've already chose aswell.

Just trying to figure out if its doable under 1k

Thanks

and if your overclocking the e6300 would be the best bang for your buck.. and just get a 7900 with the left over money instead of a 6800

NosBoost300 said:
and if your overclocking the e6300 would be the best bang for your buck.. and just get a 7900 with the left over money instead of a 6800

but he says he does no gaming so he could put the money in a better HD or faster ram.

So it seems like everyone is saying its doable? How much should I expect to pay for the mobo and ram? What type of ram do I need?

I also have another quick question. I have my copy of Windows XP that is currently on my old computer. I still have the CD and key. Could I just delete it off my old computer and load it on my new computer? I'm guessing it may involve a call to Microsoft to explain, but what are the chances of it working out?

I thin that is what everybody does. I think you just install it on your new computer and let it ride. but I am not positive.

To be legal you would have to delete it off of your old computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom