Conroe e6400 Build, Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyZ

Daemon Poster
Hey TF members, thanks for looking at this thread! I frequently lurk TF and I have a few posts here and there, I personally NEVER look at the "MY NEW BUILD" threads because I am too lazy to always give the same answers to people who need help, so thanks again for taking your time to read this thread!

Originally I was going to have a 6600 build, but since they are not in stock anywhere, or WAY overpriced, I decided to give the lower range Conroes a try. They have 2MB L2 cache which is HALF of the 6600 and higher, but still the same as the top Am2's. And the prices beat AMD easily.

So here is a list of the things I will have on this computer:

Case: My old Lian Li V-1000B case, no help needed here.

Harddrive: Seagate 7200RPM 16MB 320GB Sata 2 $95 (Newegg always has great deals, this is cheaper than the WD HD with the same specs I bought a month ago for $100) (no help needed here)

CPU: Intel Conroe E6400 $299.00 (no help needed here)

Motherboard: DFI INFINITY 975X Socket T $240 (ok, I need help here, I want this computer for pure overclocking and experimenting, thats why I chose DFI, but there are NO reveiws on newegg, I think I can google some, but would anyone be familiar on how well the 6400 would OC on this board? If this isn't the best choice, which board is?)

Soundcard: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 7.1 $121 (this is the first time I bought a high performance soundcard, the reveiws seem good and the prices seem right)

PowerSupply: SeaSonic S12-500 ATX12V 500W Power Supply $130 (my friend Andrew, know as aspire.comptech here on TF, suggested this PSU, it matches my case, has up to 85% efficency)

Videocard: eVGA 256-P2-N584-AR Geforce 7900GT KO 256MB $265 (20 dollar mail in rebate)

Memory: OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 $230

Grand total with shipping and tax: $1,494.49

I don't know, but the price tag is a little bit high. I expected to build a computer around 1200. Give suggestions please!

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=202730357&loc=101&sp=1&queryType=comp

$339. $23 over the price is hardly way overpriced, wouldnt you agree?

Not in stock ATM, but will be soon; ships in 1-2 weeks. Id say the wait is worth it for a much stronger CPU?

As for why the build is so expensive -- dont judge the overall price by the cpu. The e6400 is a very strong cpu, but also very cheap. Plus, you went with overly expensive parts there. look at the $240 motherboard, ffs.

get this instead:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128012

oh I forgot to mention, I am in need of a computer FAST, that means before school starts, 6600 isn't THAT much stronger of a CPU, the 6400 actually has higher OC potential, the only advantage I see is the 4MB L2 cache, the 6600 is 400 dollars by itself while this cpu is around 310(with tax and shipping).

i was looking at that mobo, it is actually even cheaper when I combine it with the CPU, but I looked at the reveiw and it says it has some problems with DDR800 ram which is what I'm using.

edit: Read a reveiw on the gigabyte mobo and decided to go with it, still a 1350 final price.

sorry for double post, but here is updated list:

-e6400

-Gigabyte Ds3 965x mobo

-OCZ 2gb DDR800 ram

-Seagate 320 gig hardrive

-Seasonic 500W PSU

-Evga 7600GT Ko (thought about it and realized I don't game THAT much, this will do until 8 series comes out)

-Creative Xtreme Music Soundcard

Grand Total(which is pretty close what my budget): $1,258.05

cool, I wonder if those come in black, I'll check later, but I really want a stable PSU, I heard some bad things about Antec PSUs, or maybe it was one specific model.

Ok decided to switch to a e6300, I was thinking, if its the same stepping as the 6400 and it cost less, I can obviously oc it to be almost as good as the 6400, plus I'm thinking of upgrading to 6600 in a couple of months anyways!

Also decided to ditch the videocard idea, screw it, I'm sticking with my 6600GT.

That gives me a total of $949 shipped, while is pretty dang good for a core 2 duo system with 2gb GSkill DDR800 ram! I think I should be able to hit 2.7GHZ fine.

seems like you cheaped out in the wrong areas..

1) your PSU is good, but not in your budget.. get the antec 550watt true power for $80 (save $50!)

2) your motherboard is overkill.. are you gonna go crossfire? if not then go with the gigabyte for $150, it overclocks just as good. (save $90)

3) soundcard seems pointless... that would be first thing i would cheap out on.. use on board for now.. thats the easiest thing to upgrade... if you find yourself totally unsatisfied with onboard.. (save $121)

4) ram looks good but you could probably find similar for $200 (save $30)

if you take my advice, you save $291. you can get that 7900gt afterall! OR go to e6600 or you said you dont' want to wait so at least hte 6400.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom