Conroe Chipsets: I'm Confused!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orayn

In Runtime
After some coaxing and giving up on being an AMD fanboy, I've decided on a Conroe E6600 for my rig this summer, but I've recieved conflicting information on which chipset your motherboard has to have to Conroe. I know I need an LGA Socket 775; some people have told me that it will only work with the upcoming G965 chipset, while others say 975X will work as well.

I'm waiting to see if all the hullabaloo about Conroe is real or not.

I read an article the other day that some have gotten Conroe to work on a 8xx mobo.

it will work with many chipsets. planning on getting the 6900 which is so far supposed to be the Core 2 Extreme conroe

i wouldnt start planning yet.. see if the conroe is all intel says it is.. and be sure AMD will make somethign better.. ;)

Don't plan things ahead man.. it might prove out to be useless plans and so you'll get disappointed, for now live with what you got ;) thats what i figured.

Also, the chipsets that are supposdly going to support the conroe might just not support it after all, as there is no official information about anything YET... and the information that is out there is very confusing, and so I suggest to just wait or buy the current high-end technology, rather than waiting for next-generation technology..

BTW That price chart that is running around: http://images.dailytech.com/nimage/1023_large_conroe_pricing.jpg

From what I understand this will be the DEALERS Price, not the consumers price!!! Meaning: To get that price you'll need to buy around 1000 pieces of that product, and you'll need to buy it straight from the factory, as a consumer you will NOT get those amazingly low prices... -Again, this is just ANOTHER rumour, as there is no real official announcment about the conroe prices from Intel or the big companys that sell's their chips.

"giving up on being an AMD fanboy"

o rly? if ur gonna give up so easliy you obviously never were one in teh first place..

And who said it was a good thing to be a AMD fanboy?

I'm also planning a fall build with the Conroe. Currently, only the 975X chipset will work with the Conroes, and all motherboards supporting that are $200+. But by the time Conroe comes out, we should be swarmed with low-budget chipsets, no doubt about that. Don't buy the stuff yet, just chill for a while, let the Conroe settle in, and then get a new system.

Personally, I'm going for the 2.4Ghz E6600 with a high-end GeForce 8 card, whatever that may be.

Green Radience said:
And who said it was a good thing to be a AMD fanboy?

I'm also planning a fall build with the Conroe. Currently, only the 975X chipset will work with the Conroes, and all motherboards supporting that are $200+. But by the time Conroe comes out, we should be swarmed with low-budget chipsets, no doubt about that. Don't buy the stuff yet, just chill for a while, let the Conroe settle in, and then get a new system.

Personally, I'm going for the 2.4Ghz E6600 with a high-end GeForce 8 card, whatever that may be.

Exactly what I will be doing. We will have to compare systems in a few months, should be fun :D .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom