Conroe build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrZucchiniHead

Daemon Poster
future conroe build/question.

ok scince conroe is gonna be coming out about 3-5 months after my build, hopefully at the end of the school year, i was thinking about a mobo in preperation for conroe. now i seen that anandtech tested it on a mobo with a 975X chipset and turtile said that you need a 965 or higher in order to use conroe so i was looking around newegg for parts for a build that i could just pop conroe in and go. my last build, which i stil mightgo with had a opty 165 and a 939 mobo and DDR ram not DDR2 so if i was going to switch to conroe it would cost alot of money.

i've come up with a 1300$ build for preperation for conroe, could you comment on it and tell me if it will work or not.

mobo:
Gigabyte GA-G1975X socket T (775) can you tell me if this will work with conroe?

CPU:
Intel P4 631 with a cedar mill core for major overclocking (around 5ghz)

RAM:
G.SKILL 2gb DDR2 533 (PC2 4200)

Video Card:
EVGA 6800GS, might go to 7600GT

Antec smartpower 500w, might save 18$ and go with the fortron 450w

Thermaltake Tsunami case

Can you tell me if this is a good monitor?

normal Lite-On dvd-rw drive

this all adds up to $1,220 with room for a good mouse and keyboard.

nothing wrong with the crt monitor. some of us prefer them.As for power I'd stay with the antec (personal preference) as far as conroe support cant find anything on that particular board

seems like a good monitor to me, but i'd get lcd anyways and avoid the flicker.

we haven't seen any 3rd party benchmarks for conroe; its too early to be spewing your pants for a conroe.

can't comment on the mobo since its all speculation right now and no one knows if you need a new mobo or can use a current one. 7600gt would be more worth it IMO. saw an 19inch acer monitor with 8ms response for around 220 on new egg. heard good things about that monitor

ya best lcd would be a 19" 8ms or less and a res of 12x10. I've heard 17" are sharper in 12x10 (duh) but I dont think it beats the 20% extra screen of a19"(too lazy to bust out some triginometry and find the actual value lol)

Exactly as that article says, it is still a little uncertain regarding current 975 boards and Conroe. I would suggest holding off until things become more clear. I have heard however, that the Rev. C Asus boards are going to support Conroe, but you would want to confirm that.

985 boards, when they come out, should be the "high-end" boards for Conroe with support for the XE.

Also, as for the RAM, DDR2 667 is going to be its native support, so you would probably want to go with that, although DDR2 533 should work just fine as it would run 1:1 with the FSB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom