Conroe Advice? - Page 4 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-31-2006, 06:05 PM   #31 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 506
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Yoad
Uh huh.. and how can you not get caught?..

-Jo/
Because once the processor is out of the motherboard its no longer over clocked, and shows no evidence of being over clocked although it is damaged, the damage cause by the over clock is no different than the damage that can occur on a defective chip running at stock speed.
__________________

cedjunior is offline  
Old 07-31-2006, 06:20 PM   #32 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
MrCoffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 1,858
Default

can they not tell if its been damaged due to a higher voltage?
__________________

__________________
Intel core I7 920
GA-EX58-UD3R
6GB OCZ platinum 1600
XFX HD4890
Noctua nh-u12p
Corsair HX520
Antec 300
Samsung 1TB F1 Spinpoint
Samsung SM2443BW 24"
MrCoffee is offline  
Old 07-31-2006, 08:12 PM   #33 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,567
Send a message via AIM to massacreinfallx
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by cedjunior
Because once the processor is out of the motherboard its no longer over clocked, and shows no evidence of being over clocked although it is damaged, the damage cause by the over clock is no different than the damage that can occur on a defective chip running at stock speed.
and are you sure of this?
massacreinfallx is offline  
Old 07-31-2006, 08:28 PM   #34 (permalink)
Geek Squad
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 788
Default

Are you certain I always thought there was a little marker that informed them that someone fugged with their chip.
__________________
"Truth is violated by falsehood but outraged by silence."

"Mastering others is strength, mastering yourself is true power." ~Sun Tzu

"Ad Astra Per Aspera"

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." ~Confucious

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.” ~ Samuel Jackson

“Omnis vir est fortunae faber”
JoshSB is offline  
Old 07-31-2006, 10:20 PM   #35 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 506
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by MrCoffee
can they not tell if its been damaged due to a higher voltage?
No


Quote:
Originally posted by massacreinfallx
and are you sure of this?
Pretty much


Quote:
Originally posted by JoshSB
Are you certain I always thought there was a little marker that informed them that someone fugged with their chip.
No such thing.

Unless there is physical damage like burn marks or crushed pins or cracks or whatever, there is no way to differentiate damaged caused by a defective chip from damage caused by over clocking. You can get a brand new precessor that is DOA and have to RMA it and it could possibly show the same defects as a processor that you burned out OC'ing too much. And if you have OC'd and never damaged the chip at all, there is absolutely no way it could be proven.
cedjunior is offline  
Old 07-31-2006, 11:54 PM   #36 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,567
Send a message via AIM to massacreinfallx
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by cedjunior
No


Pretty much


No such thing.

Unless there is physical damage like burn marks or crushed pins or cracks or whatever, there is no way to differentiate damaged caused by a defective chip from damage caused by over clocking. You can get a brand new precessor that is DOA and have to RMA it and it could possibly show the same defects as a processor that you burned out OC'ing too much. And if you have OC'd and never damaged the chip at all, there is absolutely no way it could be proven.
well alright then.
__________________

massacreinfallx is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.