Conroe Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
massacreinfallx said:
the thing is, i need a system now and i dont need all that great performance yet. i can wait for the am3 but i cant without a computyer

If you want am3 that bad, just buy a socket am2 X2 3800+ that should hold you buy till am3, but you can't rule out that intel wont release something incredibly awesome, i doubt they're going to let AMD get the upper hand again without a fight.

Curry Viking said:
If you want am3 that bad, just buy a socket am2 X2 3800+ that should hold you buy till am3, but you can't rule out that intel wont release something incredibly awesome, i doubt they're going to let AMD get the upper hand again without a fight.

how long until the am3?

massacreinfallx said:
how long until the am3?

By am3 i'm guessing you're referring to the new 65nm amd cpus, they're a new wave of cpu but am3 isn't a new socket, you'll be able to use am3 cpus on your am2 motherboard. I've been hearing they'll be released Q4 2006 or Q1 2007.

Wikipedia has always been slightly off the rocker though =P. Anyways, I have a 3800+ X2 and am in no hurry to upgrade to Conroe, when more Mobos come out and cheaper RAM, I MAY upgrade, but until then, what I have does not sweat or bat an eye at any of the really intensive programs, so it all works for me.

JoshSB said:
Wikipedia has always been slightly off the rocker though =P. Anyways, I have a 3800+ X2 and am in no hurry to upgrade to Conroe, when more Mobos come out and cheaper RAM, I MAY upgrade, but until then, what I have does not sweat or bat an eye at any of the really intensive programs, so it all works for me.

yeah see, thats what i mean. I always was an AMD kinda guy, and its not like my computer cant handle everything i throw att it. so why upgrade? By the time i need to upgrade the counterpart to the conroe from amd will be out.

AMD will not have a serious competitor for Core2 out for a while. Going to the 65nm process isnt going to do much for AMD besides allow them to clock higher. How much difference did it make for Intel switching from the 90nm (Pentium D 8XX) to the 65nm (Pentium D 9XX) when it came to comparing performance with the AMD X2 line? Not much at all. Until AMD goes back to the drawing board and builds a new process architecture from the ground up, it will be behind Core2 and what ever Intel puts out in the future.

cedjunior said:
AMD will not have a serious competitor for Core2 out for a while. Going to the 65nm process isnt going to do much for AMD besides allow them to clock higher. How much difference did it make for Intel switching from the 90nm (Pentium D 8XX) to the 65nm (Pentium D 9XX) when it came to comparing performance with the AMD X2 line? Not much at all. Until AMD goes back to the drawing board and builds a new process architecture from the ground up, it will be behind Core2 and what ever Intel puts out in the future.

too late. just bought am2 4000+. wich can easily handle anything you can throw at it.atleast until amd releases their version of the core 2 duo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom