Conroe Advice? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 12:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by massacreinfallx
the thing is, i need a system now and i dont need all that great performance yet. i can wait for the am3 but i cant without a computyer
If you want am3 that bad, just buy a socket am2 X2 3800+ that should hold you buy till am3, but you can't rule out that intel wont release something incredibly awesome, i doubt they're going to let AMD get the upper hand again without a fight.

Old 07-30-2006, 12:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master Techie

I say go Socket 939!

May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face, and may the winds of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars
Old 07-30-2006, 01:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to massacreinfallx

Quote:
Originally posted by Curry Viking
If you want am3 that bad, just buy a socket am2 X2 3800+ that should hold you buy till am3, but you can't rule out that intel wont release something incredibly awesome, i doubt they're going to let AMD get the upper hand again without a fight.
how long until the am3?
Old 07-30-2006, 02:47 AM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by massacreinfallx
how long until the am3?
By am3 i'm guessing you're referring to the new 65nm amd cpus, they're a new wave of cpu but am3 isn't a new socket, you'll be able to use am3 cpus on your am2 motherboard. I've been hearing they'll be released Q4 2006 or Q1 2007.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:41 AM   #15 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

I read Q1 2008..from Wikipedia.

3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

Old 07-30-2006, 10:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
Geek Squad

Wikipedia has always been slightly off the rocker though =P. Anyways, I have a 3800+ X2 and am in no hurry to upgrade to Conroe, when more Mobos come out and cheaper RAM, I MAY upgrade, but until then, what I have does not sweat or bat an eye at any of the really intensive programs, so it all works for me.

"Mastering others is strength, mastering yourself is true power." ~Sun Tzu

"Ad Astra Per Aspera"

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." ~Confucious

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.” ~ Samuel Jackson

“Omnis vir est fortunae faber”
Old 07-30-2006, 11:16 AM   #17 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by JoshSB
Wikipedia has always been slightly off the rocker though =P. Anyways, I have a 3800+ X2 and am in no hurry to upgrade to Conroe, when more Mobos come out and cheaper RAM, I MAY upgrade, but until then, what I have does not sweat or bat an eye at any of the really intensive programs, so it all works for me.
yeah see, thats what i mean. I always was an AMD kinda guy, and its not like my computer cant handle everything i throw att it. so why upgrade? By the time i need to upgrade the counterpart to the conroe from amd will be out.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:17 AM   #18 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by b1gapl
I read Q1 2008..from Wikipedia.
i couldnt imagine why amdwould wait almost 2 years to release giving intel the upper hand for that long
Old 07-30-2006, 12:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

AMD will not have a serious competitor for Core2 out for a while. Going to the 65nm process isnt going to do much for AMD besides allow them to clock higher. How much difference did it make for Intel switching from the 90nm (Pentium D 8XX) to the 65nm (Pentium D 9XX) when it came to comparing performance with the AMD X2 line? Not much at all. Until AMD goes back to the drawing board and builds a new process architecture from the ground up, it will be behind Core2 and what ever Intel puts out in the future.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by cedjunior
AMD will not have a serious competitor for Core2 out for a while. Going to the 65nm process isnt going to do much for AMD besides allow them to clock higher. How much difference did it make for Intel switching from the 90nm (Pentium D 8XX) to the 65nm (Pentium D 9XX) when it came to comparing performance with the AMD X2 line? Not much at all. Until AMD goes back to the drawing board and builds a new process architecture from the ground up, it will be behind Core2 and what ever Intel puts out in the future.
too late. just bought am2 4000+. wich can easily handle anything you can throw at it.atleast until amd releases their version of the core 2 duo

Closed Thread