connection speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nagasama

disgruntled ex-moderator
hi all.
my internet connection speed tests at:
1000 kbps / 124.9 KB/sec transfer rate (download)
and
1078 kbps / 134.8 KB/ sec transfer rate (upload)

is this a good speed?

also, in my task bar where the little network connection icon is (you know the two little computers) it says 100.0mbps.
is this right?
does my network adapter automatically select its own setting?

I a find it hard to believe that your upload is higher than download. Is this a DSL or Cable? My cable is really fast. 784kbs up and 8000kbs down. On good badwidth days my Downlod runs a 14000!!! :)

the 100mbps is the speed of the Ethernet adapter. it is a 100mbps card. your internet will run only as fast as advertised, and it may run slower on peak hours.

rico:
really it varies, usually my download is faster, those were the results from the test i was looking at right then.
but my download is always 1000 kbps or above.
my upload varies from 800-1000kbps.
it's neither cable or dsl, its wireless through my rural electric company. so i have what looks like a satellite dish on the side of my house, only it points to a tower.
but in any event, i think this connection speed is close to a cable, but slower than t1 or a good dsl.

zmatt:
the adapter on my mobo is a 10/100/1000.
which is why i ask if there are manual settings that change it or if it detects which speed it needs to run at.

o you have the good sattelite stuff. What I have is actual sattelite, it goes up into space and is probably the slowest "high speed" internet connection there is.

lol so i guess minelifies as a "good" speed, then?
yeah lance i just upped my connection speed today.
was at 550kbps, and i didn't like that i was kinda laggin the dsl dudes in bf2.
they have 2000kbps for ten bucks more. i'm gonna try this for a week and see how it works, but i can afford another ten bucks.
look at my hobby, for christs sake lol.

RicoDirenzo said:
I a find it hard to believe that your upload is higher than download. Is this a DSL or Cable? My cable is really fast. 784kbs up and 8000kbs down. On good badwidth days my Downlod runs a 14000!!! :)

Ahhh, mighty nice cable Sir. I like to brag about mine, yours tops it BUT.. how much do you pay. My speed (cable) is suppost to be capped at 3MEG. I've almost never seen it at or below 3 meg. Average is 4.5 meg and about 700 upload. And its $29.95/mo. :D

ping times in many OLG's are max 40's.

(how much do you pay for those speeds nagasama? or have you already said..)

dude it can't be as bad as mine I am using 512 kbps bandwidth man now that is bad for me.

GreenMachine said:
Ahhh, mighty nice cable Sir. I like to brag about mine, yours tops it BUT.. how much do you pay. My speed (cable) is suppost to be capped at 3MEG. I've almost never seen it at or below 3 meg. Average is 4.5 meg and about 700 upload. And its $29.95/mo. :D

ping times in many OLG's are max 40's.

(how much do you pay for those speeds nagasama? or have you already said..)

greenmachine i pay more than 30 dollars haha. i think the bill is about 50ish.
now, i dont know if i've gone retarded or what, but wouldn't a 3mb conection be 3000kb?
so, really isnt yours better than mine?
i think maybe your question is directed at rico?
mine tops out at about 1+ mb.
which is like a crappy cable connection, correct?
now if i got to the 2mb cap, it would be like a pretty decent cable modem.
my ping on a good server is usually about 70-85.

wow dude you can just get FIOS for $55 a month and you get 50mb/10mb so i say screw cable. FIOS FTW. im usually downloading at 15mbps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom