Computers for the Classroom - Request for Help - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2015, 01:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Question Computers for the Classroom - Request for Help

I am high school teacher and requesting your assistance at this time. I teach computer tech support (A+ certification), servers and security (MTCS certifications), infrastructure of the internet (Cisco course). As part of a recent grant we received, my classroom is to be equipped with all new computers - laptops (28 @ $500ea. max) and desktops (28 @ $730ea. max)

Obviously Id like to get the best of the best at this price point so we can use them for a long time so I am looking for suggestion to get the most bang for my buck because who knows when someone will just be handing me money. Here is what I am thinking as far as use:

PCs Like to be able to run Linux, Windows Server, and Windows, set up either with all three O/S or Windows running multiple virtual machines. Id like to start creating my own laps/projects for more stuff instead of instead of relying on the publishers and their sad web based virtual environments that require little critical thinking. Also, Ill need peripherals so need to stay under the $730 budget to ensure money left over for these.

Laptops All my students already have laptops through a 1-to-1 program, so Id like to expose them to some different/alternate technology, possibly tablets instead? Android, iPad, or Windows device all offer their advantages. Windows 10 release is still pending, but if possible Id like to be able to expose them to this, havent looked into the promise of free upgrade for 8 to 10, but I know this was a big point they made during their press conference.

I greatly appreciate your assistance and I know with your help my students will be provided with the best possible technology available to them.

calirtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 02:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: Computers for the Classroom - Request for Help

Does your school get any kind of discount through an OEM like Dell or HP? It would be something good to look into.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Ghost

Only problem with school computers... they're rarely cleaned. So after 2-3 years of use the amount of dust that builds up in the case is absolutely nuts. This increases the heat in the case, and therefore the wear and tear of parts etc etc.

My school uses Dell systems, Latitudes for laptops, and I cannot remember the desktop line, although it was originally designed for XP. That's how old our hardware is xD
Old 03-20-2015, 08:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Does your school get any kind of discount through an OEM like Dell or HP? It would be something good to look into.
I don't think schools get discounts on pc's. If it's like anything else they pay a premium institutional price just because it is a school, and corporations can get away with over charging public schools
Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
I don't think schools get discounts on pc's. If it's like anything else they pay a premium institutional price just because it is a school, and corporations can get away with over charging public schools
Pretty much

School districts usually have a set purchasing list. ie you can only purchase this laptop model, this desktop model, etc. If that isn't a restriction for OP you might want to call the companies and ask individually. If you find a good rep they may be able to help you out on price. it's not a huge order, but it's definitely not something a company would want to pass up.
Battle.net: iFargle #1561 || Steam/Origin: iFargle
iFargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

You'll be better off getting your things from local retailers or on line retailers than from school vendors which charge 2-3x more.

Can your class do a DIY project and build there own desktops?
Old 03-20-2015, 09:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Build Guru

Just an observation here, but OP hasn't been back in a week.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

resurrection thread
Old 03-22-2015, 03:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
The Ghost

oops... that might've been me folks. Sorry xD
Old 03-27-2015, 09:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Bump. Still looking for those suggestions!?!?!?

calirtc is offline   Reply With Quote