which computer would be better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jav13

Beta member
I am going to be building a computer for online gaming and have done a lot of reading over the last few weeks online, I currently play world of warcraft and my last computer took a dump on me. What I am wondering is which computer build would be better not only for playing world of warcraft but any other game I change to over the next year or two with minimal changes to hardware.

Build one:

Power Supply: 850 Watt -- CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 850w Power Supply - SLI Ready
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 940 Processor (4x 2.93GHz/8MB L3 Cache)
Memory: 6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3-1333 Triple Memory Module - Corsair XMS3 Dominator w/DHX technology
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5870 - 1GB - Single Card )
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D Premium -- Intel X58 Chipset CrossFire and SLI Supported w/8-ch HD Audio, Triple-Channel DDR3, 2 Gb Lan, 3 PCI-E MB )
Primary Hard Drive: 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s - Single Drive
Network Card: Killer Xeno Pro Gaming Network Card

Build two:

Power Supply: 750W Silverstone Strider Modular Industrial Power Supply
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-860 2.8GHz Quad-core Processor with HyperThreading
Memory: 8GB Kingston HyperX Dual-Channel DDR3-1333MHz Low Latency
Video Card: ATI® Radeon™ HD 5850 1GB GDDR5 DX11
Motherboard: Intel® P55 Media Series CrossFire and SLI Ready DP55WG
Primary Hard Drive: 750GB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA 7200rpm 32MB Cache
Network Card: Killer Xeno Pro Gaming Network Card

budget isn't really a concern for me at the moment but really wouldn't like to go above 2k. any help would be appreciated.

are you building it yourself or are you getting it custom built from a site like ibuypower?

if you can afford it, build one is better but i would change the cpu to just an i7 920 (the extra cost of the 940 isnt wort it) and maybe if you could swap the cooler master for the silverstone in build two.

also, not sure how much of a difference youll see in online gaming with the network card. what i mean is idk if its worth the extra $100.

thanks for the input, to answer your question I still haven't decided if I was going to build it myself or not. I have no experience when it comes to building one but reading a lot of these forums is helping. Also after I posted I went and read a couple of other threads and noticed that coolermaster wasn't the way to go, was thinking on if I can't find silverstone I would look into 850 W Corsair CMPSU-850TX which I understand is a good one (correct me if I am wrong).

all corsair power supplies are top-notch.
i agree with muffinman, the xeno pro network card is not justified by its price tag.

I would also recommend that you build it yourself. Did you need a monitor as well in the $2000 price?

I would build it myself and you could even customize it alittle better than either of those......but be every bit as good or better....I agree that network card would not be needed.

Thanks for the info, probably will try my hand at building it and won't get that network card, and no already got a Samsung 24" monitor so that won't be in my 2k budget.

Here is what I got so far, and what I am going to be looking for. Any changes needed please let me know and thanks again for all the help.

Power Supply: 850 Watt --Corsair CMPSU-850TX
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 920 Processor (4x 2.66GHz/8MB L3 Cache)
Memory: 6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3-1333 Triple Memory Module - Corsair XMS3 Dominator w/DHX technology
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5870 - 1GB - Single Card )
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D Premium -- Intel X58 Chipset CrossFire and SLI Supported w/8-ch HD Audio, Triple-Channel DDR3, 2 Gb Lan, 3 PCI-E MB )
Primary Hard Drive: 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s - Single Drive

The only other real questions I got are on the processor which I noticed the memory specification/type was DDR3-800/1066, am I going to run into a problem with that?
Is the motherboard a good one? I have always been told that ASUS was a good way to go.
Is liquid cooling worth looking into? don't really know if I would need to be OC anything with this spec.
and last but not least, do I need 1 TB hard drive or would less work just as good?

those parts look good, but the psu is overkill unless you plan on adding a second 5870. maybe you could just link us to the site youre looking at?

The only other real questions I got are on the processor which I noticed the memory specification/type was DDR3-800/1066, am I going to run into a problem with that?

not really sure; i think you might be getting something confused here.

yes the asus mobo is good, but there might be some other cheaper options that will also work well for you.

do you need a 1tb hdd? thats completely up to you and how much space you think youll need.

as far as liquid cooling goes, i think another member here, Burn, pretty much summed up a response to your question. all i know is that a good setup wont come cheap.
So you want to do water cooling? First some questions... Do you know a lot about PC's? Have you built one before and do you feel comfortable working inside your computer? Water cooling isn't for newbies as all it takes is one mistake and you spring a leak and your brand new system is gone.

Why do you want water cooling? Good temps? The "coolness" factor? Silence?

Budget? How much can you dedicate to water cooling alone?

What all do you want to cool? GPU + CPU, CPU only, motherboard + CPU + GPU?

Was looking at ibuypower and then was going to look into individual parts in newegg or wherever else I can find them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom