Computer won't turn on, PLEASE help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

unsung

Baseband Member
I came back to my room and the computer won't turn on. At first I thought maybe the connector or the wall plug is fry and therefore my computer is OK but that wasn't the case. I got my computer out and notice a dead coach roach with it body half way inside where my power supply is. I don't think it touch anything but it was surely dead when I pick it up. Do you guys think that my supply can possibly be fry because of that? Also recently I been watching some stuff, and without any sort of protection, can any malware, virus make it so that your computer can't turn on? Well that the only two theory I can think off for now.

I need suggestion and help. I'm really worry. What might be other cause of it not turning on, I open up the PC and I can't find anything wrong with it.

Thanks guy, will rep

Stop watching that stuff until you start using protection. It doesn't just kill kittens or make you blind, anymore.

You might have fried your psu. But first check if you have a on/off switch on it as it may just have triped it out.

If you can get ahold of a digital multimeter, you can check it out.

I won't even touch the "stuff" comment, but usually maleware wants toi be on and running to do its thing.

If the cockroach was stuck in the fan he could have jammed the fan and let the PSU overheat. This is very unlikely as cockroaches are probably not strong enough to stop big spinning death machines (at least to them that's what PC fans are), but if the fan is stuck the PSU could easily overheat and fail.

First just unplug and plug back in the PC to reset it, make sure the outlet works by plugging a lamp or something into the same outlet. If you are comfortable opening up your PC and unplugging the main power cable from the motherboard, you can use a multimeter (volt meter) to test the voltages. To manually turn on a power supply, connect the GREEN wire on the 20 or 24 pin power connector to any of the BLACK wires using either a bent paper clip or a small piece of spare wire. Connecting these will turn on the PSU (the fan should spin) and you can use your volt meter to measure the voltage on the 12V (yellow), 5V (red), and 3.3V (orange) rails (the black lead of the voltmeter always goes to the black wire on the PSU).

As far as power-on viruses it is quite unlikely. There is an off chance that a virus could wipe your BIOS or mess with it to prevent the PC from booting, but this is very rare (plus it is useless to the virus writer, as most viruses want to keep your PC alive so they can use it for spamming or other botnet purposes). Try clearing CMOS (either press the CLEAR CMOS button, jump the CLEAR CMOS jumper, or remove the backup battery, every motherboard is different but all should have at least one of those options). This will reset your BIOS to default settings.

If the cockroach was stuck in the fan he could have jammed the fan and let the PSU overheat. This is very unlikely as cockroaches are probably not strong enough to stop big spinning death machines (at least to them that's what PC fans are), but if the fan is stuck the PSU could easily overheat and fail.

First just unplug and plug back in the PC to reset it, make sure the outlet works by plugging a lamp or something into the same outlet. If you are comfortable opening up your PC and unplugging the main power cable from the motherboard, you can use a multimeter (volt meter) to test the voltages. To manually turn on a power supply, connect the GREEN wire on the 20 or 24 pin power connector to any of the BLACK wires using either a bent paper clip or a small piece of spare wire. Connecting these will turn on the PSU (the fan should spin) and you can use your volt meter to measure the voltage on the 12V (yellow), 5V (red), and 3.3V (orange) rails (the black lead of the voltmeter always goes to the black wire on the PSU).

As far as power-on viruses it is quite unlikely. There is an off chance that a virus could wipe your BIOS or mess with it to prevent the PC from booting, but this is very rare (plus it is useless to the virus writer, as most viruses want to keep your PC alive so they can use it for spamming or other botnet purposes). Try clearing CMOS (either press the CLEAR CMOS button, jump the CLEAR CMOS jumper, or remove the backup battery, every motherboard is different but all should have at least one of those options). This will reset your BIOS to default settings.

Thanks Cal for the advice

I unplug it and plug it back in was the first thing I did. The outlet didn't work at all at first but then I reset it and now my alarm and lamp work. Since all my other device that was plug into the surge protector connected to another surge protector connected to the outlet did not work, I wonder if I was using too much power. If that the case, I doubt my CPU and mobo is fry or anything. I don't have a multimeter and there isn't any place around here I can buy it and online take a while. I need to fix this before I get home however. I don't know what BLACK wire your talking about, and some things I am not sure what you mean.

I will reconnect the 20 to 24 pin to my motherboard and let you know if that might be the problem. And yes I build this computer and I know how to open it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom