Computer won't turn on - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 08-02-2007, 12:36 PM   #21 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Re: Computer won't turn on

The way to find out what's wrong it to replace parts:
1) Unplug everything non essential, this way you can be POSITIVE, they're absolutely nothing to do with the problem, any drive other than master HDD, monitor, speakers, mouse, keyboard, anything in the back of the PC, should only be the wire to the psu.
2) Ensure your motherboard isn't shorting on the case/motherboard tray. Your brother makes pc's so let him do it for you/with you to make sure you're installing nothing wrong.
3) Eliminate the psu by replacing that first. Just plug in the 24pin mobo power, hdd, cpu 4 pin and the graphics card. This also eliminates any errors with misc parts.
4) Then I'd go for front panel connectors, take em all out and go through em one by one, carefully.
5) Then I'd go for maybe using his hard drive, you don't even have to boot, you just want power first.
6) Try without graphics card in, then try with his in.
7) Take out all ram, then put in just one stick, try in all slots, might as well, only takes a second.
8) Then I'm afraid you're gonna have to lift that cpu, check for bent pins and get your brother to VERY carefully re-seat it.
9) Failing all this, chuck it out at least a first floor window, this often shakes parts slightly, allowing for tight parts to settle and function correctly.
10) Failing that, commit suicide. I accept 100% responsibility for all suicides due to pc enragement.

| Intel Core 2 Q6600 / Zalman CNPS7000Bcu CPU LED cooler | XFX GeForce 8800GT Alpha Dog 512MB PCI-E | 2x1024mb Corsair XMS2 6400 | Gigabyte N650SLI DS4 | OCZ GameXstream 850W | Hitachi Deskstar 80gb IDE | WD Caviar 160gb IDE | WD Caviar 250gb SATA | Coolermaster Aerogate 2 |
Old 08-02-2007, 01:27 PM   #22 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

if you don't have a system speaker then get one!!
also make sure that the monitor is plugged into the graphics card properly, even if you think it is, there is no harm in unplugging and plugging it back in again one thing i see very occasionally is that a pc wont do anything much (i forget the exact symptoms) it will just sit there and beep a lot

@IGeMex: why would you leave in the master HDD?

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 08-02-2007, 03:01 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master Techie

You might want to make sure that that CPU is slotted correctly. Pull the CPU heat sink/fan and then the CPU and reseat it. If it is a socket T make sure you didn't bend any of the pins on the mobo or if an AMD make sure you didn't bend any of the CPU pins.

Noli Nothis Permittere Te Terere!!
EVGA 680i, Dual EVGA 8800GT'S (650/950), 4 gigs OCZ DDR2 1066, Intel Q9450 at 3.8 Ghz, Koolance Water Cooled, Dual Plextor16x DL DVD+/-RW. Dual WD 250gb 16mb Cache Sata 3.0. 3DMark06 score = 19,168.
Closed Thread