Computer upgrade for old system - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-17-2010, 05:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 195
Default Re: Computer upgrade for old system

Do you think a LIAN LI PC 75B case could handle a Core i7 cpu HSF gtx 480m video card etc and heat ok?
__________________

lafguy81 is offline  
Old 03-17-2010, 05:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 195
Default Re: Computer upgrade for old system

Quote:
Originally Posted by orihS ‪‪‪Shiro View Post
Only if it's a Socket 775 P4
Run CPU-Z tell us if it's Prescott, Northwood, or Williamette
I tried it but it says windows can't find CPU
__________________

lafguy81 is offline  
Old 03-17-2010, 05:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
I don't overclock
 
Fat.Clown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: offline
Posts: 3,326
Default Re: Computer upgrade for old system

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafguy81 View Post
I tried it but it says windows can't find CPU
CPU-Z ---------- it's a program you have to download and install
Fat.Clown is offline  
Old 03-18-2010, 02:03 AM   #14 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 195
Default Re: Computer upgrade for old system

Quote:
Originally Posted by orihS ‪‪‪Shiro View Post
Only if it's a Socket 775 P4
Run CPU-Z tell us if it's Prescott, Northwood, or Williamette
Its a Prescott CPU
lafguy81 is offline  
Old 03-18-2010, 02:04 AM   #15 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 195
Default Re: Computer upgrade for old system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat.Clown View Post
CPU-Z ---------- it's a program you have to download and install
Duh Thanks works great
lafguy81 is offline  
Old 03-18-2010, 11:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
orihS ‪‪‪Shiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 612
Default Re: Computer upgrade for old system

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafguy81 View Post
Its a Prescott CPU
Then you have a socket 775 motherboard.

You can go look on Newegg and find a better socket 775 motherboard, just make sure your CPU is on the support list.
(For the most part, it should be... but check, just to make sure.)
__________________
__________________________________________________ ____________________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
orihS ‪‪‪Shiro is offline  
Old 03-28-2010, 03:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 195
Default Re: Computer upgrade for old system

I found a newer MB that will fit this cpu. I had another question. What I'm going to do is make my system a hotswap OS with Win 98 XP Win 7 each on its own hd. The MB I found was the ASUS P5N-D motherboard

If I'm doing to do this what cpu's would be best to do this? I know the P4 is cheapest way but, would a gulftown cpu work or would I be better suited to stick to P4 or a core 2 cpu? I might consider jumping up to newer IF it could handle old OS ok.

To do a hotswap system with 98 xp and 7 os's what is the newest card I could upgrade to from a ATI 700 pro.

I'm just throwing out ideas before I upgrade.

Thanks
lafguy81 is offline  
Old 03-28-2010, 04:47 PM   #18 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
orihS ‪‪‪Shiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 612
Default Re: Computer upgrade for old system

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafguy81 View Post
I found a newer MB that will fit this cpu. I had another question. What I'm going to do is make my system a hotswap OS with Win 98 XP Win 7 each on its own hd. The MB I found was the ASUS P5N-D motherboard

If I'm doing to do this what cpu's would be best to do this? I know the P4 is cheapest way but, would a gulftown cpu work or would I be better suited to stick to P4 or a core 2 cpu? I might consider jumping up to newer IF it could handle old OS ok.

To do a hotswap system with 98 xp and 7 os's what is the newest card I could upgrade to from a ATI 700 pro.

I'm just throwing out ideas before I upgrade.

Thanks
It looks like you're asking a bunch of somewhat complex questions?

First off...
Gulftown is over $1000+

Secondly Gulftown was made for 1366 socket motherboards, not 775.

I think you should make a new thread to ask your Hot swap HDD/OS question so someone that knows a little something about that can get a look at it. I'm not familiar with hot swap OS systems... :\
There are definitely people on this board somewhere that can answer those questions though.
__________________

__________________
__________________________________________________ ____________________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
orihS ‪‪‪Shiro is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Along came a hub, a switch, and a router....Aren't they the same? ReikokuKo Computer Networking and Internet Hardware 21 01-10-2013 04:13 AM
Win 7 upgrade... maximas Microsoft Windows and Software 21 11-17-2009 11:00 PM
Computer Jokes. Kharn Off Topic Discussion 8 12-19-2007 12:09 AM
Medium computer upgrade. muman System Upgrades 6 09-14-2007 04:53 PM
A Computer Building Guide.....by Elbatrop1 Elbatrop1 System Upgrades 31 04-07-2007 08:26 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.