Computer Upgrade Ideas and Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

AP4LIFETN

Daemon Poster
I am currently running
E6600 - MSI P6N SLI Platinum - 2GB HZ's - Antec 900 and other goodies, i am looking to upgrade to a Q9450 - ASUS P5E X38 - 4GB PC8500 G.SKILL PK's - and a Lian Li PC-A70B along with Windows Vista 64 Home Premium...so look for my old parts to be in the BST section soon...anyway..

i know that its recommended to reinstall the OS when switching motherboards, but how about when switching from an E6600 to a Q9450? I plan on buying the mobo first and installing OEM vista with my E6600 and upgrade to the Q9450 down the road...and let's say i have to reformat...will i be allowed to use the same OEM copy seeing as how its a different PC bc of the new processor?

Shouldn't be a problem. If it does give you crap simply call microshaft up and they should be able to sort you out.

If you're installing Vista with the P5E and E6600, and then upgrading to the Q9450, you won't need to reformat again, to accomodate the new processor. Just drop it in and your set.

I didn't have to reformat, when I went from an E6400 to a Q6600 on the same motherboard.

i didn't think you had to reinstall for a new cpu. thought it was only for a new mobo. but i suppose you could call them up and let them know about your situation. and they shouldn't be like KLSDJG:SLIG no!

aahh ok...1 more question...whats a mobo that in the 200 dollar range that is good...it has to have 2 PCI-E slots, raid, and be X38...i picked the ASUS but are there are recommendations? after this it'll be time to start selling off the old stuff..who wants it!

Another great motherboard at that range, is the Abit IX38 QuadGT. But in terms of performance, both should be similar. It's just their features, that set them apart. Like the Quad GT has 2 more SATA ports than the P5E.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom