computer newb here - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 11-03-2005, 10:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default computer newb here

im not going ot lie i dont know **** about computers and i just cant take playing my games on my parents computer. Its slow sucks *** and is full of bull**** programs. My little brother is always apple bobbing it up. Im really newb to the PC world but i have been playing online games for about 7 years now. I am looking to build my own computer but i do not really know anyhtign about the parts. I read reviews but it all looks like a bunch of mumbo jumbo to me. I would really appriciate it if somone could give me the basics of what i need. I am not looking to spend tons of $ on this. Looking to spend 1-1.5 k on it. I would like to be able to play more current games but my piece of poop dell just cant keep up with the new games. Please help me with a list of basic things i should know and if possible give me some advice on what to buy. thank you.

Old 11-03-2005, 02:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

well if you dont wanna learn all the mumbo jumo, just get us to make a list of parts.. buy them and read a walkthought on how to put a computer together.

You will also need to know how to install windows,drivers and all the other stuff.

Old 11-03-2005, 03:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via AIM to PZEROFGH

MSI K8N NEO4-F, no need for a DFI sense hes a computer newb lol
Cosair valueselect 1GB 512*2, no need for good ram
Seagate Barracuda 80GB sata150 hdd
Antec Sonata II case
antec truepower 500W power supply
eVGA 7800GT
Amd Athlon 64 3700+
AIM/Xfire - pzerofgh
Old 11-03-2005, 03:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Since you sound like you're into games, here's some tips on each component you will need:

CPU: get an AMD Athlon 64 model, preferrably the Venice or San Diego core

Motherboard: DFI brand, preferrably the Lanparty series, the SLI option is probably not necessary

Edit: ya the above guy is right, you prob won't need a DFI, just get a MSI or a Gigabyte then. Make sure all your other components are compatible with your motherboard.

Video card: take a pick between evga 6600GT and 6800GT, I think they should fit in your buget. Video cards are AGP or PCI-X nowadays, make sure the card you get fits in your motherboard.

RAM/memory: Good brands are OCZ, Corsair, Kingston, Geil. I have a pair of OCZ dual channel sticks, so you might wanna consider that. Some RAM is good at overclocking, if you ever feel the need for it. Some RAM are not, such as valueselect sticks. Nowadays 1 GB of RAM is sufficient for games, do not get any less.

Hard Drive: SATA (Serial-ATA) drives are quite popular. They're not really that expensive either. Just get a size according to your preference. Good brands are Seagate, Western Digital, and Maxtor.

Power Supply (PSU): make sure to get a good one. Some quality brands are Antec, Enermax, and OCZ. For wattage, it really depends on your system, but you should be able to get a good amount for 80-90 dollars, something like around 450W.

The rest of the components are really up to you. Feel free to ask more questions.
ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
AMD Athlon XP 3200+
Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu
OCZ 1GB Platinum PC3200 Rev2 Dual Channel
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
Enermax Noisetaker 485W
2 x 80GB SATA Maxtor Diamondmax 10 on RAID 0
Old 11-03-2005, 07:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to otogrim

wow...wished i had that much money to put into a new comp... I'm poor
Old 11-04-2005, 01:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

well from your initial post
you dont seem to have the right attitude
i gather you are rather young.....
there are tons of good threads here
read the stickies
Old 11-08-2005, 10:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

seems like i came off kinda of harsh my computer jsut pisses me off somtimes. im am willing to take the time to learn about the parts and what they do. Thank you for the list of parts. Im going to start reserching them and i might wanna ask some more advice later. And what is Overclocking been hearing it a bunch sense i startred on these forums.
Aspire (Turbo Case) X-Navigator Silver on Black PC Case, 500W Power Supply, Side Window, Blue Temp Monitor, ATXA9NW-AL/450

How is this brand? Is this a deal to get with the 500W PSU?
Old 11-08-2005, 10:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie

at this ponit DO NOT concearn yourself with overclocking. Put your first build together. once you have redone it about 10 times and feel comfotable with it then try some minor overclocking. no sense in destroying your first build before you know whats up. read up on how to build first.
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 :: INTEL i7 920 @3.4 :: XFX GTX260 :: 6gb Corsair 1600 :: Corsair 750TX :: TRUE 120 :: Samsung T240 24" :: Windows 7 X64

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 11-08-2005, 12:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Techie

Wait up does your budget include a monitor keyboard mouse ect. or do you already have all that stuff
AMD 3200
2x512 coasair valueselect
eVGA 6800gs
MSI Neo4-f
Anec true power 480 watts

-92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy this.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

the keyboard, mouse and monitor are very important in a computer system especially for gaming.

i think that you should consider upgrading your current system before you dive straight into building your own. a very easy upgrade is to add more ram and a new graphics card. warning, do not even touch any of your computer componants until you know about electrostatic discharge and how to prevent it from damaging the insides of your computer.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Closed Thread