Computer maintenance... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-13-2015, 07:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: United States
Posts: 99
Default Computer maintenance...

My question to you guys seeing as Ive never owned a computer that was really anything descent, what kinda maintenance should I be doing to my origin eon17x?? I mean I'd like some details on upkeep for it. Do I have to do anything to my ssd's? Anything with my gpu, cpu, or just internals? Inside the bottom or even actually software wise? What should I be staying up on to make sure I get the best life out of my laptop? Thanks for any help...

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk
__________________

nheppeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker
 
carnageX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,507
Default Re: Computer maintenance...

Hardware wise... make sure you clean the fans out regularly (once a month or every couple of months) - they can easily get clogged in a gaming laptop. So take the bottom panel off and use some canned air to blow the vents/fans clean.

If you notice temps start to rise and you've already cleaned the fans/vents, then look into repasting the CPU/GPU.

As for your SSD, check this guide: SSD Tweak Guide
You can skip a few of the steps like disabling Prefetch/Superfetch. But make sure you disable defrag/indexing/page file.

Keep it clean and try not to eat/drink over the keyboard and such. Not all that much you really need to do to it besides keep it cool and clean (keeping it cool is the most important for expanding the life).

For software... Don't install a bunch of random crap to keep your install clean. I'd recommend installing only absolutely bare minimum software and then create a base recovery image using something like CloneZilla.
__________________

__________________
Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5


If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
rulezero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,685
Default Re: Computer maintenance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post

For software... Don't install a bunch of random crap
Ditto most important!
__________________
Don't like what I say, ban me!
rulezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: United States
Posts: 99
Default Re: Computer maintenance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
Hardware wise... make sure you clean the fans out regularly (once a month or every couple of months) - they can easily get clogged in a gaming laptop. So take the bottom panel off and use some canned air to blow the vents/fans clean.

If you notice temps start to rise and you've already cleaned the fans/vents, then look into repasting the CPU/GPU.

As for your SSD, check this guide: SSD Tweak Guide
You can skip a few of the steps like disabling Prefetch/Superfetch. But make sure you disable defrag/indexing/page file.

Keep it clean and try not to eat/drink over the keyboard and such. Not all that much you really need to do to it besides keep it cool and clean (keeping it cool is the most important for expanding the life).

For software... Don't install a bunch of random crap to keep your install clean. I'd recommend installing only absolutely bare minimum software and then create a base recovery image using something like CloneZilla.
Awesome thanks for the advice

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk
nheppeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
cb600fshornet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: England, Birmingham
Posts: 361
Default Re: Computer maintenance...

Better to completely strip down these things to clean the dust out. The dust will primarily be trapped on the fan side of the heatsink (because it's pushing air through it). If you blow air in then you can get dust in the bearings of the fan. That's why I only tend to clean mine out every 6 months (while it's under warranty), then strip it down after that to do it.

It's a pretty small risk of getting dust in the bearing though to be totally honest, only ever had the problem once and that was on an old laptop.
cb600fshornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Private Joker
 
carnageX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,507
Default Re: Computer maintenance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb600fshornet View Post
Better to completely strip down these things to clean the dust out. The dust will primarily be trapped on the fan side of the heatsink (because it's pushing air through it). If you blow air in then you can get dust in the bearings of the fan. That's why I only tend to clean mine out every 6 months (while it's under warranty), then strip it down after that to do it.

It's a pretty small risk of getting dust in the bearing though to be totally honest, only ever had the problem once and that was on an old laptop.
I'd say it depends on the laptop if you need to strip it down. Since it's a gaming laptop, hopefully it's similar to my MSI in the fact that you only need to remove 1 bottom panel and the fan is easily accessible right there.
__________________
Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5


If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: United States
Posts: 99
Default Re: Computer maintenance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
I'd say it depends on the laptop if you need to strip it down. Since it's a gaming laptop, hopefully it's similar to my MSI in the fact that you only need to remove 1 bottom panel and the fan is easily accessible right there.
Thanks for the help, I will see how ideas it is hopefully it's not bad.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk
__________________

nheppeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Computer repair and maintenance mariosdog Technology Careers and Education 5 07-01-2011 08:51 PM
Computer Maintenance Software Advanced System Care Free Osiris Tips, Tricks & Tutorials 0 08-13-2009 05:53 PM
computer maintenance advice chublake Microsoft Windows and Software 1 01-13-2007 06:08 PM
Computer Maintenance Demalii Off Topic Discussion 2 10-14-2004 05:57 PM
HELP - for new maintenance startup chemaster Monitors, Printers and Peripherals 3 10-11-2003 07:59 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.