computer for college and/or gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

cap

Beta member
hello im new to this forum and i was wanting to know what i should do about a good computer for next year when im off to college and for playing world of warcraft. and i also want to know what i should have in it i like this computer here
but ill need to upgrade graphics so ill chose one of these(here , or here ) and i also have an xbox 360 and i want to be able to connect it to a computer moniter using a vga cable but im not sure if any of the products ive chosen are good enough so if you could give me feed back whether its good or if i have know idea what im talking about any info would be helpful and plus i want to keep it all under 1200 dollars

thanks for the help

-cap

quite frankly if you want a good computer build it yourself

i personally will help you to do this and give you full instrucion
plus everybody here in this forum will be more then willing to suggest what you need

ive been thinking to build my own but im thinking it may be to much trouble and id be afrade id mess something up so im wanting to get one that is pretty good like the one listed but im not quite sure so i thought i would ask.

here is what i want:
3.0+ghz processer
2g RAM
512MB graphics
200g hard drive
flat monitor with atleast a vga for my 360 or maybe if there is a splitter out there the could someone tell me

and thats about it

dude, where do we begin... this is a forum for building your own computer....

we will help you bro
lol

every step we can give you

a guy named john3 on these forum is making a guide to building one too :)

you will be fine

if you get an amd, which is what everyone here recommends, you will be operating at ~2.0 GHz (AMD's run fewer cycles but do more computing)

I would recommend an AMD X2 3800+ if you want to go duel core... alot of people are praising opterion 165, but you dont seem like an overclocker.

get 2x1Gb DDR400 (or higher) ram

i'd recomend a 7800GT or 7900GT KO (256MB) rather than pay like double for 512 (and not get double performance)... dual core GPU's are coming out in a few months, u'r def gonna want one of those so save the $$ for that

for your hard drive, i recomend Western Digital. get atlease 7200rpm, the raptors run at 10,000 and are probly the fastest on the market

p.s. dont use tiger direct, they over price... use newegg or zipzoomfly

to answer your question about connecting a 360 to a monitor..... i have just recently looked into this as well...

first u will need the HD VGA cabel(http://hardware.teamxbox.com/reviews/xbox-360/40/Xbox-360-VGA-HD-AV-Cable/p1/)

then it looks best on a widescreen monitor 16:10,

(http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.pro...025WM&JRSource=DealTime.datafeed.VIW+VX2025WM)

it may be a bit expensive but trust me its worth it!!!

the thing is, you will need a decent graphics card to support its native resolution of 1680x1050, but it will be money welll spent!

btw, welcome to tec-forums.net!

and i along with many of the more regulars to the forum would suggest you get an Intel Conroe

they are comming in july(shipping 6-6-06) if you dont wanna wait for them they go with an AMD x2 3800

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom