Computer Buying Questions - Page 5 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-16-2014, 03:49 PM   #41 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 220
Default Re: Computer Buying Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Even with 4GB of RAM it was slow. I didn't really watch movies or anything with it because it would sometimes lag out on 1080p content even with a dedicated GPU. It worked fine as a file server though until I started taking it to LANs. People hitting it constantly on DC++ lagged it out bad so it got replaced eventually. The Pentium D was just a very terrible processor. You also have to take into consideration that the machine I was using used non-ECC DDR2 and the speeds were 800MHz. So I had a lot more memory bandwidth in that machine as well.

I would look to Ebay for your DDR2 needs.
Kingston 2GB 2x1GB KTM2865 G PC2 3200 DDR2 400 ECC 2GB Memory Kit 2pcs | eBay
Wow.. it's such a good deal on Ebay. Thanks for the link. So the memory in your link is 100% compatible with my server right?
__________________

Discusman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:08 PM   #42 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,296
Default Re: Computer Buying Questions

Should run fine. Kinda slow, but compatibility shouldn't be an issue that way.
__________________

__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:50 AM   #43 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 220
Default Re: Computer Buying Questions

My PowerEdge SC420 has Pentium 4 CPU or is it due core? I dont see dure core listed in the property.
Discusman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:06 AM   #44 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,296
Default Re: Computer Buying Questions

You said in the OP it was a Pentium 4 and you said previously it was a dual core. You'll have to figure that out because I wouldn't know. It can come equipped with either.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:57 PM   #45 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 220
Default Re: Computer Buying Questions

Mine is P4 2.8 GHz. The power edge SC430 has dual core. It doesn't make sense to add more rams now.
Discusman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:11 PM   #46 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 220
Default Re: Computer Buying Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Mike's list is perfectly fine, but I personally would change things up just because I'm nitpicky.

My list would be this if you were purchasing this moment.
CPU:
Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-4440 Haswell 3.1GHz (3.3GHz Turbo) LGA 1150 84W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600 BX80646I54440

Motherboard:
Newegg.com - ASUS H81M-K LGA 1150 Intel H81 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM:
Newegg.com - ADATA XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model AX3U1600C4G9-DR

HDD:
Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com

PSU:
SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

Case:
SilverStone PS08B Black High-strength plastic and meshed front panel MicroATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com

Optical:
ASUS Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk Black - Newegg.com

$491

Then add on your choice of 64bit Windows.

Upgradeable, yes. Everything you need minus the copy of Windows is listed to make a fully functioning PC. You can part match over at NCIX and pay an additional fee for setup, testing, and installation or you can watch the slew of videos available at your disposal to assemble your own machine.
How many cores in this PC if I build it based on this component list? Does i5 mean five cores? And i7 represents seven cores?
Discusman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:00 PM   #47 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 220
Default Re: Computer Buying Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Mike's list is perfectly fine, but I personally would change things up just because I'm nitpicky.

My list would be this if you were purchasing this moment.
CPU:
Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-4440 Haswell 3.1GHz (3.3GHz Turbo) LGA 1150 84W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600 BX80646I54440

Motherboard:
Newegg.com - ASUS H81M-K LGA 1150 Intel H81 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM:
Newegg.com - ADATA XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model AX3U1600C4G9-DR

HDD:
Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com

PSU:
SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

Case:
SilverStone PS08B Black High-strength plastic and meshed front panel MicroATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com

Optical:
ASUS Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk Black - Newegg.com

$491

Then add on your choice of 64bit Windows.

Upgradeable, yes. Everything you need minus the copy of Windows is listed to make a fully functioning PC. You can part match over at NCIX and pay an additional fee for setup, testing, and installation or you can watch the slew of videos available at your disposal to assemble your own machine.
May I ask why would you pick the Asus board over MSI? The MSI board has higher review rating score on new egg.
Discusman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:02 PM   #48 (permalink)
Private Joker
 
carnageX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,508
Default Re: Computer Buying Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusman View Post
How many cores in this PC if I build it based on this component list? Does i5 mean five cores? And i7 represents seven cores?
i5 = Quad core
i7 = Quad core with HyperThreading (splits each physical core into 2 virtual cores, giving you 8 virtual cores total)
__________________
Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5


If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:32 PM   #49 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 220
Default Re: Computer Buying Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
i5 = Quad core
i7 = Quad core with HyperThreading (splits each physical core into 2 virtual cores, giving you 8 virtual cores total)
Thanks.

What about for a i3 chip?
Discusman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #50 (permalink)
Private Joker
 
carnageX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,508
Default Re: Computer Buying Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusman View Post
Thanks.

What about for a i3 chip?
i3 = dual core

The number after the "i" doesn't have to do with the amount of cores - it's just the "line" of the chip. Then the first number in the model is the generation (e.g. i5-4440 is a 4th generation i5).
__________________

__________________
Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5


If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
asus, dell, i5 intel, i7 intel, poweredge

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions, questions, questions galore! RhettLAN Technology Careers and Education 2 02-15-2013 03:11 AM
General questions about buying new computer miker296 System Upgrades 3 11-17-2006 05:40 PM
Buying Computer - Some Questions Meithan System Upgrades 16 07-15-2006 01:44 PM
A few questions, buying a desktop Bex372 Monitors, Printers and Peripherals 9 07-12-2005 03:17 PM
Buying Sound Card Questions merlin Computer Audio and Multimedia 12 12-10-2004 02:07 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.