Computer Buying Questions

So this build is better than any Dell at this price? I would like to have i7 though if I build it myself.

The custom build one is faster and last longer?

So this build is better than any Dell at this price? I would like to have i7 though if I build it myself.

The custom build one is faster and last longer?

Yes, it will be a better build because you know exactly what components are going into it, and they won't be "cheap" parts like what prebuilt manufacturers use to keep mass-produce costs down.

The custom one will be faster for the money, and if you take care of it, it will last longer. Plus, you'll have warranties on individual parts rather than the whole unit, most of which are longer than a standard 1 year warranty from a prebuilt manufacturer as well.

What motherboard can I get for i7 chip? I'm looking for something durable and within mid price range.

If you're not using any programs made specifically for HT then the extra 100 bucks spent on an i7 is a waste unless you're buying it used. The motherboard also depends on exactly what chip you want. 4770k? 3770k? 4930k? 4820?

If you specify a budget it would be a lot easier to recommend parts based on the needs in question.

My budget for a new PC is $600. I want to have a PC that can last me at least 10 years and I do not need to worry about the outdated hardware of my PC couldn't keep up with the new software. For example, my Dell P4 2.66GHz PC can't no longer rung Windows 7 or 8.1 due to the age of the PC. I don't want to buy a new PC every 5 years because I want to use the new OS or applications.

I'm hoping i7 PC is fast enough to run any software, OS or applications that will come out in next 10 to 15 years.

With the advancement of multicore technology and software utilization you're asking for a lot for a small budget. An i7 4770k (4 cores) is over half your budget. Your motherboard, RAM, and CPU combo would take up pretty much all the cash you have there to spend with not enough left over to piece the rest together.

If all you want to do is browse the net and watch Youtube, check your email, chat on Facebook or whatever then an i5 4440 would last you a long time. My CPU is 3 years old and still one of the fastest available. If things keep crawling technically speaking the way they are even in the gaming area then the above would last 5 years absolute minimum without loss of performance. I mean, I know some people still using processors from 2006 without complaint and those are slow dual cores. The problem is X86 could stagnate and that could be bad for us hoping to use our current units for more than 5 or 7 years.

So this motherboard can't handle an i7 chip?
Newegg.com - MSI CSM-B75MA-P45 LGA 1155 Intel B75 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard.

What are these number represent?
4770k? 3770k? 4930k? 4820.

Yes it can, a 3rd generation socket 1155 i7 which would be a 3770 or 3770k.

Those numbers are specific i7 model numbers. For instance, 4770k = 4th gen Haswell Core i7 for socket 1150 based motherboards. 3770k outlined above. 4930k and 4820 are 3rd gen Core i7 models for socket 2011 motherboards.

The K means it can be overclocked and a K CPU is wasted on a motherboard like the B75 chipset based board. Here again my original point of an i7 being wasted because unless you do very CPU intensive tasks like rendering, video editing, lots of transcoding or the like HT is wasted. You are literally paying 100 extra bucks for 4 virtual threads. You could save a lot of your budget by getting an i5 4440 and Asus H81 board and use that extra cash to buy an SSD which has more of a noticeable performance difference vs using standard drives. It will also help your system seem faster than what it really is later on when the parts are aging.

Yes it can, a 3rd generation socket 1155 i7 which would be a 3770 or 3770k.

Those numbers are specific i7 model numbers. For instance, 4770k = 4th gen Haswell Core i7 for socket 1150 based motherboards. 3770k outlined above. 4930k and 4820 are 3rd gen Core i7 models for socket 2011 motherboards.

The K means it can be overclocked and a K CPU is wasted on a motherboard like

I saw that same model with the k and looked at both specs I honestly didn't notice much of a difference.
Plus I think its 10 buck cheaper, correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't that cpu I picked out hold him for a long time ?

Back
Top Bottom