Computer Buying Questions

Discusman

In Runtime
Hi All,

I have a Dell PowerEdge SC430 that I bought in 2007 and only used for a few months. It has been sitting in my classet all this time. It has a 2.8 GHz Pentium D processor. I installed Windows Server 2003 on it yesterday and only find out that Microsoft is no longer supporting Windows Server 2003. Therefore, there is no OS updates for it. I've also tried to surfing the internet with it, it is extremely slow and it kept idling when I tried to access my email account.

My question now can I use this machine for Windows 7 as a regular desktop? Or is it any good to use as a internet web server/networking server? If so, what server OS can I install on this machine?

I also have a 10+ years old Dell Pentium 4 PC. It is also very slow and I am considering buying a new PC that has i5 chip in it. I've looked online and see some good deals from Dell and Asus i5 or i7 PC. Are they any good?

I appreciate any feedback and comments.

The Dell Poweredge SC430 will work with Windows 7, but it will still be very slow due to the age of the hardware, even though it has had little use. For small scale development, it would definitely be fine as a server. I'm sure later versions of Windows Server are compatible with it. You could also go the open source route and install Linux and run it as a server (Ubuntu being the easiest route).

About the Asus and Dell i5/i7 PCs, most of them would probably suit your needs, but if you list some requirements and some possible options for computers, I could provide a stronger recommendation for you.

Since you can't upgrade the Dell to a Core 2 chip then it's really not worth your time. The Pentium D's were just real slow dogs and are still even terrible for regular usage. It would basically only be good for a file server or hardware firewall.

As to the Dell or Asus new PCs, that all depends on your budget and what you want to use it for. More than likely your money would be better spent with a custom assemble.

I just don't want to throw away the SC430 since it had been rarely used. It also has minimum memory. So I'm not sure it is good for anything. I used it to host a website with very little Internet traffic. I guess Linux has minimum hardware requirement? Maybe I can play with it. I want to set up a web server as well as home networking. I have Mac PC as well.

In terms of buying a new PC. It seems people prefer Dell over Asus. I didn't find much review on Asus PC. I want to have a quick PC to work in Windows 7 or 8. Just Internet surfing, watch movies and some gaming. I also use MS office application as well. I had my old Dell P4 2.5GHz for almost 13 yrs and it is still working. So I think Dell is fine unless the new ones are not reliable as the old one.

I'm not interested in building a PC myself. The research on parts, learn to assemble a PC and trial and error is too much work for me.

I just don't want to throw away the SC430 since it had been rarely used. It also has minimum memory. So I'm not sure it is good for anything. I used it to host a website with very little Internet traffic. I guess Linux has minimum hardware requirement? Maybe I can play with it. I want to set up a web server as well as home networking. I have Mac PC as well.

In terms of buying a new PC. It seems people prefer Dell over Asus. I didn't find much review on Asus PC. I want to have a quick PC to work in Windows 7 or 8. Just Internet surfing, watch movies and some gaming. I also use MS office application as well. I had my old Dell P4 2.5GHz for almost 13 yrs and it is still working. So I think Dell is fine unless the new ones are not reliable as the old one.

I'm not interested in building a PC myself. The research on parts, learn to assemble a PC and trial and error is too much work for me.
We do the parts, NCIX assembles and installs for a 50 dollar fee. Also not to be technical or anything, but asking some geeks on a forum is considered research ;)

Hi All,

I have a Dell PowerEdge SC430 that I bought in 2007 and only used for a few months. It has been sitting in my classet all this time. It has a 2.8 GHz Pentium D processor. I installed Windows Server 2003 on it yesterday and only find out that Microsoft is no longer supporting Windows Server 2003. Therefore, there is no OS updates for it. I've also tried to surfing the internet with it, it is extremely slow and it kept idling when I tried to access my email account.

I also have a 10+ years old Dell Pentium 4 PC. It is also very slow and I am considering buying a new PC that has i5 chip in it. I've looked online and see some good deals from Dell and Asus i5 or i7 PC. Are they any good?

I appreciate any feedback and comments.

Inspiron 3000 Small Desktop Details | Dell
If you prefer not to do build it thats fine bewarned you'll be chipping out lots of crapware stuff from dell technicians.
If you prefer to do it or have someone willing to build it and charge you a build fee this will work out if not better.
VGA not included please specify what you'll be needing the vga before we do anything further.

Newegg.com - MSI CSM-B75MA-P45 LGA 1155 Intel B75 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard 69.99
Intel Core i5-3570 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 77W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637i53570 - Newegg.com 205.00
Crucial Ballistix 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLE4G3D1608DE1TX0 - Newegg.com x2=90.00 total
Newegg.com - Antec TruePower Classic series TP-550C 550W 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Power Supply 80.00 with 5 year warrenty replacement
Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com 60.00 buy your own sata cables or no hard drive install for you.
HEC Blitz Black Steel Edition ATX Mid Tower Computer Chassis Gaming Case w/ Front Blue LED 120mm Fan & Top 120mm Fan - Newegg.com 55.00

Grand total 545.00 with shipping prices and taxes if applicable.

Inspiron 3000 Small Desktop Details | Dell
If you prefer not to do build it thats fine bewarned you'll be chipping out lots of crapware stuff from dell technicians.
If you prefer to do it or have someone willing to build it and charge you a build fee this will work out if not better.
VGA not included please specify what you'll be needing the vga before we do anything further.

Newegg.com - MSI CSM-B75MA-P45 LGA 1155 Intel B75 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard 69.99
Intel Core i5-3570 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 77W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637i53570 - Newegg.com 205.00
Crucial Ballistix 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLE4G3D1608DE1TX0 - Newegg.com x2=90.00 total
Newegg.com - Antec TruePower Classic series TP-550C 550W 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Power Supply 80.00 with 5 year warrenty replacement
Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com 60.00 buy your own sata cables or no hard drive install for you.
HEC Blitz Black Steel Edition ATX Mid Tower Computer Chassis Gaming Case w/ Front Blue LED 120mm Fan & Top 120mm Fan - Newegg.com 55.00

Grand total 545.00 with shipping prices and taxes if applicable.

Can you please clarify the above list? Is it a list of components recommended by you? And I can go out there buy each individual parts online and put together myself? I think the shipping cost for each parts will add up.

What special tools do I need to put together a computer? Are all the parts plugin and play? I've never done it before.

Dell PC comes with Windows 8 OS. If I do put together a PC myself. Then I have to buy the OS myself.

Can you please clarify the above list? Is it a list of components recommended by you? And I can go out there buy each individual parts online and put together myself? I think the shipping cost for each parts will add up.

If you use a single site, and buy multiple parts in 1 order, they box them up together and shipping prices can decrease since they're in fewer boxes; plus a lot of items on Newegg have free shipping with them.

What special tools do I need to put together a computer? Are all the parts plugin and play? I've never done it before.

Usually only a philips screwdriver and your hands. All the parts only fit in 1 way - it's very easy. There's tons of videos and how-to's on building systems; Newegg has some good videos on their site for system-building.

Dell PC comes with Windows 8 OS. If I do put together a PC myself. Then I have to buy the OS myself.

An OS would be an extra $80-100 roughly.

You can also take the parts linked by us to a site like NCIX that for a 50 dollar fee will assemble, install, and test for you. They then send you the assembled PC and the boxes for the individual parts.

Pretty much what I've already said previously. If you want to go this route you can just specify a budget we can go by.

Back
Top Bottom