Which computer to buy, and why?!

Solarran

Beta member
Hi there, sorry all for a thread that I'm sure has been posted before. The reason I create a new one is that, it seems that the answer really stems from the exact details of each case / the soft and hardware I have questions about.

So, already having a labtop that, especially being 5 years old, cannot handle new games as well as I'd like it to. So, since it still works fine for all non-gaming purposes, I'm going desktop hunting for a good gaming computer (Cheaper is better).

So questions:
-Ghz or core's? I found a 600 computer with AMD FX 8-Core Black Edition FX-8120 (FD8120FRGUBOX) Details in it that I believed was fantastic because of the 8 cores but then wondered if I should go lower cores and higher ghz because I don't really think I need 8 cores, do I?

-Should I even be looking at AMD processors, or should I focus on Intel ones? I would prefer an Intel, however this $600 Asus with the AMD processor seems like a great deal.

-Graphics cards: Nvidia, AMD Radeon, what should I even be looking for??

The exact computers I'm comparing (although if anyone has suggestions, FEEL FREE)
1. ASUS CM1831-US-3AA Desktop Computer CM1831-US-3AA B&H Photo
2. ASUS BP6375-I73770039B Desktop Computer BP6375-I73770039B B&H
3. HP ENVY h8-1520t Desktop PC | HP® Official Store

Well more cores will give you faster speeds than less cores and more GHz will.

For example:
duel core 4GHz vs. quad core 3GHz
2x4=8GHz whereas 4x3=12GHz

But I dont know of any games that need an 8 core processor to play on the highest graphics settings with a high frame rate. But I guess if you have the money and want the best of the best, you should get it assuming you have an equally fast GPU.

Hi there, sorry all for a thread that I'm sure has been posted before. The reason I create a new one is that, it seems that the answer really stems from the exact details of each case / the soft and hardware I have questions about.

So, already having a labtop that, especially being 5 years old, cannot handle new games as well as I'd like it to. So, since it still works fine for all non-gaming purposes, I'm going desktop hunting for a good gaming computer (Cheaper is better).

So questions:
-Ghz or core's? I found a 600 computer with AMD FX 8-Core Black Edition FX-8120 (FD8120FRGUBOX) Details in it that I believed was fantastic because of the 8 cores but then wondered if I should go lower cores and higher ghz because I don't really think I need 8 cores, do I?

-Should I even be looking at AMD processors, or should I focus on Intel ones? I would prefer an Intel, however this $600 Asus with the AMD processor seems like a great deal.

-Graphics cards: Nvidia, AMD Radeon, what should I even be looking for??

The exact computers I'm comparing (although if anyone has suggestions, FEEL FREE)
1. ASUS CM1831-US-3AA Desktop Computer CM1831-US-3AA B&H Photo
2. ASUS BP6375-I73770039B Desktop Computer BP6375-I73770039B B&H
3. HP ENVY h8-1520t Desktop PC | HP® Official Store

Well more cores will give you faster speeds than less cores and more GHz will.

For example:
duel core 4GHz vs. quad core 3GHz
2x4=8GHz whereas 4x3=12GHz

But I dont know of any games that need an 8 core processor to play on the highest graphics settings with a high frame rate. But I guess if you have the money and want the best of the best, you should get it assuming you have an equally fast GPU.

I made this article specifically for the educational purposes so people are more informed about these things. It would help if you both read it.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/your-cpu-modern-games-guide-those-building-261626/

Having more cores does not make a CPU faster. A quad core 3770k is faster than an 8 core AMD FX 8150/8350. Please understand that the FX CPUs do not have the full amount of cores, but have modules. Each module has 2 cores that are half cores, they share resources and output data as one. They are a more physical version of Intel's HT technology and serve the same purpose. Since they are physical they are labeled as "cores" but I assure you, they are not true 8 core CPUs.
That being said, more speed (GHz) doesn't mean better either. Architecture makes a huge difference, which is why Intel is dominating the CPU market.

OP to answer your question, every single one of those computers suck for gaming purposes and their price. They all have decent CPUs, but they lack in serious GPU power. Games are 90% GPU dependent on performance. That means, if you have a low end GPU in the machine (like those) then you aren't going to be playing games with good settings.
Much like the situation with your laptop. Laptop GPUs lack in power vs desktop counterparts.

If you aren't opposed to building your own, you can make a much better computer for the money.

Last edited:
I made this article specifically for the educational purposes so people are more informed about these things. It would help if you both read it.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/your-cpu-modern-games-guide-those-building-261626/

Having more cores does not make a CPU faster. A quad core 3770k is faster than an 8 core AMD FX 8150/8350. Please understand that the FX CPUs do not have the full amount of cores, but have modules. Each module has 2 cores that are half cores, they share resources and output data as one. They are a more physical version of Intel's HT technology and serve the same purpose. Since they are physical they are labeled as "cores" but I assure you, they are not true 8 core CPUs.
That being said, more speed (GHz) doesn't mean better either. Architecture makes a huge difference, which is why Intel is dominating the CPU market.

OP to answer your question, every single one of those computers suck for gaming purposes and their price. They all have decent CPUs, but they lack in serious GPU power. Games are 90% GPU dependent on performance. That means, if you have a low end GPU in the machine (like those) then you aren't going to be playing games with good settings.
Much like the situation with your laptop. Laptop GPUs lack in power vs desktop counterparts.

If you aren't opposed to building your own, you can make a much better computer for the money.

Sorry, I should have said that I knew and understood the graphics units were not good for gaming, but that I was going to buy and customize that myself. Looking at the rest of the computer only.

But, still open to suggestions :D

If you're going to do that then you will need to replace the PSU in 2 of the above linked as the ITX rig can't handle a dedicated card. So if you are going that far, might as well build your own.

Oh wow, that's what I heard from the spiceworks forum and those guys always seem to know what they're talking about. If that info was false, I wonder what other lies they've fed me 0.0
Just read my article, I explain it in rather simple detail. You can find the same info anywhere else on the internet that is a reputable source for PC information.

Back
Top Bottom