Computer Build, need your help!! Trying to Make my final decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocknje

Baseband Member
Hello everyone,

This is part two of my post Building System, Stuck on Motherboard etc. -- http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/building-system-stuck-motherboard-etc-211150/#post1678863 I am making a new thread so I can finalize my computer build. If I am repeating here, I do apologize. This will help me finalize my thoughts. Thank you all who have been answering in my thread before. Please, post your recommendations again here as well. I am hoping to finalize my decision by tonight.

I am building an Intel Core i7 920 computer for music production and not gaming. Software I use is FL Studio and Protools as well as plugging in instruments to the computer for recording. I need a computer system that won't bogg down when I have all these softwares and plug-ins open. I already bought some parts and I am looking to spend $500 more, but no more than $600 more.

Once again, I am not a gamer, but when it comes to overclocking, I might do a small overclock, but I will not be overclocking like most gamers do. Any recommendations for a good thermal paste?

Ok, please Click this link to see what I own so far Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg

Here are the parts I am going with so far Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg

I still need a Motherboard, Sound card, Memory & Heat sink. Here are category links to all the parts I have been recommended and researched. Please choose what you think is the best and I will pick the one with the most votes.

Video card, I own the VisionTek 4350 ATI Radeon, I think I am going to stay with this.

Sound card List Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg

Memory List Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg

Video Card List Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg

Motherboard List Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg

HeatSinks & Coolers List Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg

Thank you all again for your help and assistance.

Jeff

You don't really need a sound card, like I've said. I use FL Studio myself, and it works perfectly fine with the onboard. But if you have a bunch of music equipment, then I suppose you need something. For the record, I've heard good things about AuzenTech, M-Audio, and there's another ridiculously expensive but awesome brand I can't think of...think it starts with an E.

Get this combo, like I said in your old thread. Takes care of the motherboard and memory.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

As for a heatsink, get this stuff.

Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-LGA1366 LGA 1366 Core I7 Retention Bracket - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

You get 20 bucks back in rebates and they both have free shipping, so you get the heatsink, fan, 1366 bracket, and thermal compound for 30 bucks when all is said and done.

You don't really need a sound card, like I've said. I use FL Studio myself, and it works perfectly fine with the onboard. But if you have a bunch of music equipment, then I suppose you need something. For the record, I've heard good things about AuzenTech, M-Audio, and there's another ridiculously expensive but awesome brand I can't think of...think it starts with an E.

Get this combo, like I said in your old thread. Takes care of the motherboard and memory.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

As for a heatsink, get this stuff.

Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-LGA1366 LGA 1366 Core I7 Retention Bracket - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

You get 20 bucks back in rebates and they both have free shipping, so you get the heatsink, fan, 1366 bracket, and thermal compound for 30 bucks when all is said and done.

Thank you for sticking with me here. Thanks for the reply. Can you look at my Heatsinks list Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg somebody recommended the Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 120mm SSO CPU Cooler - Retail What do you think about this?

From the other brands, what was the most important reason you recommended the combo? What about the EVGA? I will review your old posts too.

He recommended the combo because it is a good motherboard, and good memory together, and you save $22. Also the heatsink Hikari recommended would also be a very good choice. But if you get the heatsink he recommended also buy the retention bracket he mentioned with it, so that it will fit on your i7.

He recommended the combo because it is a good motherboard, and good memory together, and you save $22. Also the heatsink Hikari recommended would also be a very good choice. But if you get the heatsink he recommended also buy the retention bracket he mentioned with it, so that it will fit on your i7.

Thank you for your reply. I noticed that these coolers are big, are there any ones that are smaller? From my old build I had an AMD athalon and came with a small heatsink. I am getting the Cooler Master Storm Scout case, I am hoping one of those coolers will fit?

What does that retention bracket do?

Is that the motherboard and Memory you would recommend too? What else would you recommend?

I'm pretty sure that the cooler will fit. The reason it cools so well is because of the size. The bracket is what makes it possible to put that cooler onto your motherboard to cool your i7. And yes, I would recommend that combo too.

I'm pretty sure that the cooler will fit. The reason it cools so well is because of the size. The bracket is what makes it possible to put that cooler onto your motherboard to cool your i7. And yes, I would recommend that combo too.

Thanks. What about EVGA Boards?

-EDIT-

Thank you for your recommendations. I have some more combo deals that I am interested. Please let me know what you think.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! so far I am thinking about this one.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! this one is a possible second.

Some of you might of been recommending this motherboard with this type of memory, but The only problem I see with that mother board, unless I am wrong, is that the memory standard is Memory Standard DDR3 2000 (O.C) / 1866 (O.C) / 1333 . I don't see compatibility with the 1600

-EDIT-

Some of you have mentioned about this sound card Newegg.com - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional 70SB088600002 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Express Interface Sound Card - Sound Cards and I also have been recommended this one Newegg.com - HT | OMEGA CLARO 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card - Sound Cards

Which one would you chose out of the two?

Ok, look. There's an edit button for a reason, alright? The first time you had 3 posts in row when you could have easily edited, and the second time you did it twice. This constitutes a MAJOR bumping of your thread, which we really don't allow.

This is just a warning. The next time you do that, I'll have to infract you. Use the edit button on the bottom right of the post from now on. The window of time you have to edit your post is 24 hours.

Anyway, down to business.

You will save more money with the combo deal than you will just making the board cheaper. I recommended a good board for you with a good memory kit. The reason I recommended that specific board is because I know it does support 1600, even if it doesn't say it does. Also, it was made to fit inside your budget. When you are looking at these more expensive boards, you are thinking outside your original budget. If you don't care about that anymore, then get this combo since it will be better than the one I linked you to, just about 70 ish bucks more expensive.

Between those two sound cards, I guess get the Creative.

The OCZ plats are some of the BEST RAM you can get for the i7. Great speed, low timings, and cheap. Can't beat them. Get them with that combo I linked you to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom