Components for a new PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matias

Beta member
Hi guys, first time on this forum for me :)

Basically, I'm looking to build me a computer. (a gaming one, for games such as CoD4, cs:s, TF2, CoD6, maybe more...)

I already have a graphics card (Nvidia 9800GTX+) and a PSU (750W). I basically need the rest (including a case - although thinking of Antec cases).

CPU, Motherboard, Case, dvd drive, hard drive.

I'm trying to spend around £300 in total.
Also, do I want quad core or dual core with those games?

Oh, and RAM. Can you use RAM from old computers? or is it worth just buying new stuff? If so, how much will that be?

Help will be much appreciated,
Mat.

What RAM do you currently have? DDR2 or DDR3? If the former, then you'll likely need to buy new RAM too.

Look at AMD AM3-socket quad-cores - this is probably best for your budget.
AMD Phenom II X4 925 2.8GHz Socket AM3 8MB Cache Retail Box Processor - Ebuyer (not a great site for motherboards)
AMD are currently best bang-for-buck, while Intel are faster but relatively more expensive.

Cases, it's really up to you and what you can fit in with your budget.

Approximations are:
CPU - £100
Mobo - £50-80
DVD drive - £16 at most
Hard drive - Entirely depends on capacity. Expect about £35-40 for 500GB and £62 for 1TB, with evident capacity and price points between. Oh, and about £100 for 2TB if you're after that kind of capacity - though with the budget, I doubt it ;)

If you do need to end up getting RAM, 4GB of DDR3 (which you would probably need, unless we can find an AM3 board which does DDR2) is about £80-100.

Thanks a lot mate :) I'll look into it :) Guess I need new RAM too aswell :)
I'm just going to go for a 500gb hard drive.

Thanks,
Mat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom