complete noob wanting to build my first comp

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK instead of a gaming PC how about just a computer that i will use for graphics design and thats it. hope that saves me money. i no longer want a gaming pc so only one for graphics design

I have a Dell dimension 2400(yes i know dells are shit) is there anything i can re-use when i make my new comp?

Well you have DDR2 RAM, but your motherboard only supports DDR, gotta fix that.
Since your Hard Drive is SATAII and your Motherboard only has SATA150, you could get a cheaper hard drive that is SATA150. The one you have selected will work, just no point in spending the extra $$ for no increase in performance.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144154
You may want to get a cheaper case and get a better PSU, one that doesnt come with the case cuz they are shit. Get a 400W fortron. You could also use the case from your dell if you really dont care about how it looks, but from the case you chose, you probably do.
You could also use the optical drive from the dell too if it isnt shit.

By graphics design do you mean stuff like Photoshop? If so, go heavier on the processor and get a cheapie graphics card. Also, you'll want a better motherboard. That case you posted also comes with a power supply, which means the power supply probably sucks .. but since you're not gaming or overclocking I guess it would work. It'd be better to get the case and power supply separately, though (unless you get an Antec case). Try this stuff:

MSI K8N Neo4-F socket 939 motherboard
$80

AMD Athlon 3500+ CPU
$200

1GB Crucial ValueSelect DDR400
$75

Ledtek GeForce 6200TC 64-bit - make sure it's 64-bit, not 32-bit. This card should be pretty darn good for the money.
$60

The optical and hard drives you posted are fine.

This setup should be about the same price as the one you posted, but it's MUCH better for your purposes. You DON'T want that processor, trust me. That was a good processor two years ago. How much of that posted stuff is from the Dell?

yeah also the graphics card and mobo arnt compatible the mobo is agp and the card is pci x16, what ilovesocks said the mobo and cpu should be good but if you want to save up jus alittle more or talk your parents into letting you get a 6600GT which is 60-100 more depending on what brand, you can get a good brand for 125 (after 20$ rebate) evga
or a 125$ with no rebate chaintech tho im not sure of the performance quality or the life expectancy of the chaintech card. these card ive listed are compatible with the mobo ilovesocks had mentioned to you which is the msi mobo
but if you had went with your original socket 478 mobo which is agp youd need to to switch video cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom