Comp build

typicol

Solid State Member
Hello, First time putting together a computer and just wanted some input on my choices

Video Card - GTX 560 Ti ( This is the only thing I currently have)

CPU - AMD FX-6200 3.8 ghz

Power Supply - CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 430W ATX12V v2.3

Memory - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Mobo - ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

with rebate and sales it came out just under 500 which im pretty happy with considering that everything I've read about each item states how fast it runs everything.

Just want to know if anything is going to be bottleneck by something, is the power supply good for the CPU/Video Card

not really looking to overclock, just want a nice fast comp that I can record games on with 30 fps

any info will be appreicated

PS ive read somethings on AMD processors not being as compatiable with GTX Video Cards

atm I run a gtx 9800 + on a AM2 stock socket CPU and ive never had any issues with it and get about 30-40 fps will raiding 10 man in wow.

just curious

Danke, Mason

First thing to ask is, where are you purchasing your parts from?
Secondly, if all you are doing is gaming then I suggest getting an Ivy Bridge i3 instead.
Next is, that power supply will severely under power that system. You need a minimum of 550w to run the 560ti. On that note, you would probably be better off getting a 660 or 650ti.
I suggest getting the 650TX because not only will it be useable for many builds in that wattage range, but the quality is much better as the OEM is different from the builder series.

There are no compatibility issues between AMD rigs and Nvidia cards. I wish I could punch anybody who says this and is serious.

If you weren't wanting to record I would say you could probably stick with your current CPU and get a 660ti or better.
Take a look at my article as to why the i3 over the FX.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/your-cpu-modern-games-guide-those-building-261626/

Newegg

If i go with the i3 than I need a new mobo and i feel getting the mobo and CPU for 200 is pretty nice, i dont know much between the difference of the processors, ie ghz : cores, so ill give that thread a look for sure.

i sadly already got my video card, 175$ which was cheaper than my 9800 back when I bought it, so i assumed to much in to thinking it was a good deal, probably should of done some more research on that but owells.

ty on the PS response, well be fixing that.

I know this probably will never be the most optimized build, but outside of the PS would it get the job I want done?

again ill be looking at your CPU thread but i guess now these are my options, so if I went with the i3 could you refer me to another mobo?

Newegg.com - Intel Core i3-3220 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637i33220

Newegg.com - AMD FX-6200 Zambezi 3.8GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor FD6200FRGUBOX

thanks again!

edit PSU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817148046

Last edited:
If you got the GPU for that price then that isn't bad and it's still a very capable GPU.

The thread should give you a very simple or rough idea of why 2 cores is better than 6 cores for gaming. Just think of it this way, each individual Intel core is faster than an individual AMD core. If you technically only need 2 cores for gaming, then who's faster for your purpose?
Mobo for the i3.
Newegg.com - ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM you have chosen will work for it.

See, if you had gotten a 660 or 650ti then we wouldn't need a minimum of 550w and a less powerful (but good quality) PSU would suffice. That Apevia is junk. Looking at the choices of quality PSUs available at cheaper prices the lowest I would say to get is this.
Newegg.com - Antec Basiq BP500U 500W Continuous Power ATX12V Version 2.01 Active PFC Power Supply

But I recommend stongly this instead at the minimum.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Tanks so much Mguire!

I kinda assumed that about the PSU, so here is what im thinking now.

PSU - which would you pick, i believe they come out to the same price.

Newegg.com - Thermaltake Toughpower XT TPX-675M 675W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

MOBO - I wanted to go with this mobo just because SLI is something I dont think ill ever need to get to, and 32 gb of ram is just way too much. I want a good computer but not looking for overkill, so i was wondering if this card has any advantages over the one you posted since it doesn't have the 2x PCI or 4 rows for ram, same price so was just curious.

Newegg.com - ASUS P8H61-M LE/CSM (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU - Yes, after reading that thread and what you're saying, it is clear in my mind now!

so now i guess it comes down to is the 10$ worth the .3 ghz

Newegg.com - Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I32100

Newegg.com - Intel Core i3-2130 Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I32130

Ideally, i would like 30 fps while recording at ultra settings.

I feel like I'm getting somewhere, thanks so much!

Corsair PSU.

For the same price you want the better ASRock motherboard. The chipset is better, it has native out of box Ivy Bridge support, and it doesn't support SLI. Also for the same price, I think the option to be able to add more RAM in the future is something worth considering. All around, just get the better board for the same price (the one I linked).

Those 2 CPUs are Sandy Bridge. You want Ivy Bridge.
Newegg.com - Intel Core i3-3220 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637i33220

Intel Core i3-3220 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz
ASRock H77 Pro4
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2x240 pin)
CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W ATX12V v2.3

Its on the way, thanks for all of your help, 475$ for everything and I actually feel confident about what I'm getting now. I'll probably be back here in a few days when they get in if any installation questions.

So after putting this together, btw im using my old hp media center 8020n so everything is stock outside of what I bought. after 1st putting everything in and connected it started up fine, and working with windows 7, had some trouble, finally got to the install windows 7, and then when I get whether I want to upgrade or custom, and since it is new I did custom, yet with all my old hardware being connected like before to the Mobo and PSU, it said there was so drive detectable. Then it got to the point were i couldnt boot from bios because I didnt have a detected drive/USB, even though it did before which out any change. and now of course it has stopped even turning on. I dont know what I even did to change the set up. Tried changing the SATA cable because I did have a little trouble with boot up once, but last about 1 min.

aany help appreciated, if im not being specific enough let me know what about and I can try my best.

Back
Top Bottom