Come on AMD! bye bye Intel - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 01:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
The Angriest of Amoebas

Isn't Woodcrest supposed to be quad core or am I just incredibly mistaken?

Old 06-01-2006, 01:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Huh, this is interesting, but it still seems like a poor solution. It reminds me of SLI, instead of developing a better chip, they just offer running two mediocre chips.

The cost benefit is sure to suck as there is no way you will double performance but you will double cost.

BE HEARD - Techonvent
DS3 | E6400 - 3.2GHz 24/7 | 2GB OCZ PLat. PC6400 | 6800GT | Zippy 460W
What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by idiotec
Huh, this is interesting, but it still seems like a poor solution. It reminds me of SLI, instead of developing a better chip, they just offer running two mediocre chips.

The cost benefit is sure to suck as there is no way you will double performance but you will double cost.
exactly intel can get technoly form their highend processors(xeon) down to their desktop processors (pentium) too.

I dotn see the big deal. Amd hasnt done anything but put 2 processor ina motherboard which has be done and overdone.

So what the bey bey intel?
Old 06-01-2006, 03:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
Build Guru

I did not understand a thing you said. If you live in the US please clean up your English, if not i apologize.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

First of all, you guys do realize that in order to actually use 4 or even 3 cores, the operating system and all the programs have to be written to take advantage of it. A program that takes advantage of two cores will not take advantage of 4 cores.

Second of all, buying a high end motherboard with two CPU sockets and two CPUs would be a lot more buying a single socket motherboard and a dual core CPU.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Your very funny why would they release AM2 we will not see this till 2007 acourding to AMD's roadmap. Furthermore these will be expensive I'm guessing I love the fact that a $300 Core 2 Duo can kick a $600-700 AMD's ***. Also we already are half way through 2006 so fail to see your argument besides it crumbling away.
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 06-01-2006, 05:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Im not the one that wrote it so its not my fault its not out yet lol. I just said what i read. anyway i just found basically the same discussion at hardforums.com

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?...7&page=1&pp=20
Old 06-01-2006, 05:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Yeah, pretty bad plan.

Quote:
I wonder how much heat a quad core processor will produce.
It's not a quad core.

Quote:

Yup, that's why I hate the idea of SLI and now they are using it here. The price wouldn't even make it worth it, not to mention like 003 said. There will be NOTHING that'll even take advantage of that for quite some time.

Regular dual cores as it is aren't even really supported. Won't be fully supported until vista.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

You all seem to be forgetting that socket940 has existed for several years now with the potential for running up to eight simultaneously operating opteron 8** cores

Furthermore, any opteron 865 or higher is capable of running in an octa-socket environment which would account for 16 cores...this concept is nothing new and nothing short of expensive
eVGA 8800GTS 320MB / eVGA 6800GS 256MB
150GB Raptor / 74GB Raptor
2x500GB / 320GB
OCZ GameXStreme 850w / OCZ StealthXStream 600w
Old 06-01-2006, 06:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
Build Guru

We could all stil be stuck w/ 486's and the processor gods be laughing at us for being to dumb to stop arguing.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Closed Thread