Combining Memory (RAM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AntonOle

In Runtime
Hello

My motherboard has 4 slots for memory (RAM). 2 Blue and 2Brown.

My two blue slots are filled with 2x512mb and now i will replace them with the 2x1gb im getting.. The question is... Can i use all for 4 (the same 2 on the blue colour and the other same 2 on the brown colour) even though the two pairs are of differnt brand and different speed? Or do all four of them have to by the exact same? Also why are the two blue and the other two brown?

Here is a photo of my motherboard (you can see the RAM slots)

1147455709.jpg

There a two of each color so you can run your ram in dual channel. Dual channel just helps your ram work together for a minor speed boost. You can put ram of different speeds together and it will downclock to run at the lesser speed.

Is that bad or good?

I mean, would it be good to add the two 2x1gb on the one colour and the other 2x512mb on the other colour? Would this combination better than only the 2x1gb?

How much will my system memory be after the combination?

Yes if you are going to put it all in then keep the same types of ram in the matching slots. You will have three gigs (3gb) total. What kind of ram do you have and what are you planning on buying.

my motherboard supports up to DDR400.. So i cant go DDR2

The 2x512mb i have now are of lesser spead... I think they are 122mhz

The 2x1gb that im getting tomorrow are 400mhz

So if i combine them (every pair in the same colour) i will get a better result than only using the new 2x1gb's?

Also it doest matter which go into which colour right?

Thanks for the tip but i think i will stay with my current motheboard for now

So what is better and faster... 2GB Ram at 400mhz or 3GB at 122mhz (Considering that when using dual channel the combination downclocks to the speed of the ram with the lowest mhz)

yes it will work but you may want to think about saving up for an upgrade but if your fine with what you currently have there is no rush obviously but in a year or two programs will probably be overwhelming your pc

my motherboard supports up to DDR400.. So i cant go DDR2

The 2x512mb i have now are of lesser spead... I think they are 122mhz

The 2x1gb that im getting tomorrow are 400mhz

So if i combine them (every pair in the same colour) i will get a better result than only using the new 2x1gb's?

Also it doest matter which go into which colour right?

you need to put them in the same colour the two sets so the 2gb's in brown and the 1gb in the blue

Im worried about the fact that the ram wont be running at 400hz but at 122hz if i combine them

So is really 3GB RAM running at 122mhz better than 2 running at 400mhz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom