college computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamakila123

Baseband Member
hi everybody, i was planning on building a computer that i can use for the next 4-5 years. i initially planned on building one:
Wish list details
but i recently found the shuttle website (shuttle is a company that builds and sells small form factor computers.) and there custom built computers are rather cheap (relatively speaking).

the computer needs to be at most $2000(maybe a little over).

i was wondering if i need to change up my current build to last me a longer time, or buy a custom built shuttle (p2 or g2 or 1337 models) or buy a bare bone shuttle... im really leaning toward the shuttle for portability and their awesome portable screen. ^_^

anyway...any advice will be helpful,
tks in advance...

Get this set of memory instead:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Don't get that sound card. Not worth it. Besides the onboard sound on the motherboard is better.

The Zalman VF900 is not compatible with the Nvidia 8 series.

Do you think you can wait a little more? Like July 22?....because Intel, is having a big price drop, and introducing more models for the C2Ds.
Check this thread out, for info:
http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/intel-will-drop-prices-july-22-a-143258/

IMO, that's an ugly case. This case is better for the money:
Newegg.com - Antec Performance One P180B Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel for durability through the majority of chassis 1.0mm cold rolled steel around the 4 x HDD area ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Get this power supply, instead:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 520W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Retail
Sora says, the OCZ have ripples on their +12v rails.

For just $10 more, you can get 70GB more space with this hard drive:
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

b1gapl right on track there :). especially with the gskill ram. they r the best thing that ever happened to ram. that 320gb seagate is really fast too def. get it.

Or he could just, consider a laptop, like darksideleader. He did, want portability.

Jesus, a $2000 college desktop computer? That's a pretty high budget for a college PC.

You could go with a $1000 PC for College... and that's even a lot.

im assuming that u don't think its a good idea for me to buy the shuttle custom/bare bone...

anyway...my first question is in your signature... u have a e6400 at 3.3GHz...HOW?????? cus e6600 runs at 2.4ghz
and i see how one might consider my case ugly but it wasnt that bad...plus the one u choose doesnt have a side window, and had a few bad reviews. looks come second for me.....i was looking for something with a window and good cooling(no water cooling; cus i hate the required maintenance)
my psu is 600 and the one u choose for me is 520, is 520 enough...and how do u know if its enough or not?...
oh, and about waiting till july 22, i actually was planning on getting it near the end of may....next week ^_^, mainly cus im not gonna have a computer at all by may 25 (except a crappy Ubuntu which isn't really perfect for Guild Wars and CSS)
although now im considering trying to wait it out cus its a big difference...do u know if there will be any earlier price drops...im sure they wont be as good as that one but still... do u think its worth the wait

that was actually the one of the first cases i planned to get but the psu is on the bottom (instead of at the top) and people say that some wires dont reach where they need to go....but yah..the cooling on that case is awsome....are there any other good cases that provide good cooling....

and i ahve come to decide that the window wasnt that important...i was just planning on going for a all blue theme but cooling is more important then theme...
and seeing how the case is the only real question left on what computer i should get...i googled around and found a cool little cube case (it isint actually all that little) but the URL is :
Xoxide UFO Ultimate Aluminum Cube Case (Black)
it looks cool and seems to cool well...what do u think

and i think ill wait till the end of summer to get the price drop...tks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom