Cluster Computing Processors - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 10-28-2009, 07:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Cluster Computing Processors

I am in the process of creating a cluster for running MATLAB and COMSOL codes (Computationally and Memory Intensive)... I have been doing a lot of research and was wondering what you all thought about the following:

-- a single motherboard with dual CPU xeon processors
-- two motherboards with each having an i7 CPU
-- some kind of AMD setup?

At this point money isn't really a worry. Currently we have a single computer with an i7 and it handles pretty well. Is there an advantage to running MATLAB or COMSOL code on a single computer with 16 cores or 2 computers with 16 cores?

Any insight would be awesome!

Old 10-28-2009, 08:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!
Default Re: Cluster Computing Processors

the i7's are faster than the xeon's due to architecture and cache and all that good stuff, not sure if 1 i7 is better than 2 high end xeon's but that's something to research. AMD doesn't have much in the way of dual cpu setups for their newer cpu's.

Obviously if you can spread the load over a cluster of i7's it would be faster than just a single i7. Provided the code is optimized for multiple cpu's which since I don't know anything about MATLAB and COMSOL makes my opinion irrelevant.

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to Burn

If you are looking for crazy processing power (I'm not familiar with what you mentioned lol)... get a dual socket 1366 and through two of these i7 xeons in. - Intel Xeon W3520 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Server Processor - Processors - Servers
EVGA E758 A1 | Core i7 920 @ 4ghz | 6GB DDR3 1600 OCZ Gold | XFX 6870 CF | Corsair TX850 | Cooler Master HAF 932 | Water Cooled
Old 10-29-2009, 03:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Go for something similar to an IBM x3650 M2 or x3500 M2
they have dual cpus (socket 1366)
Plenty of DIMMs for you memory
IBM System x - Hardware
AMD 64bit Dual Core 4200+
A8N-SLI Premium
Legend 256mb 7800GTX
ThermalTake Shark Case
2GB hynix pc3200 DDR
160GB western digital SATA 7200rpm