Choosing a new kickass CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you master Gaara for the clarification. I'm gonna stick to my guns and go with a 939 platform.

lazerman said:
I was asking about why he said dual cores weren't good for gaming lol.

I didn't say they weren't. I've just heard things and read reviews on newegg about game incompatibility and graphics artifacts on some games with the X2. I'm wondering if there is any truth to these claims?

Socket M2 is also introducing M2 Semprons. I'd hardly call that useless. Bringing budget to the cutting edge of technology, up from Socket 754...

woot6600GT said:
Aren't opterons server processors?
... how can you not have heard about them already?? read the last post of this thread:
http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59883
the opteron 1xx line is out in socket 939, and they are great because a 2.0ghz opteron with 1mb of l2 cache is cheaper than a 2.0ghz athlon 64 with 512k of l2 cache. and they perform the same as athlon 64's. the early ones also overclocked like mad.

Read: http://techist.com/showthread.php?postid=604150#post604150

Gaming artifacting would be caused by an overheating GPU as only a GPU is responsible for processing and displaying gaming rendering and what is visible on your screen. I've never heard of a CPU causing artifacting ever. I will admit that multicore processors run pretty hot, but a good aftermarket heatsink or even the newer stock AMD heatsinks that are shipping with heatpipes should be good enough unless you have a warm ambient room temperature or poor case ventilation

The incompatibilities you might have heard of are that games are not multithreaded. This is true meaning that only one of the two cores is utilised by a game...however this in no way means the game is not compatible. All this means is that you have one core responsible for the game and another core idling that will take over any external processes

gaara said:

All this means is that you have one core responsible for the game and another core idling that will take over any external processes

I was wondering about this. During gaming, one core is used. How good are each of the cores? What are they equivelant to? A 64 3500+? 64 3700+?

Each core run's at their rated speed.... An Opteron 170 has 2 cores running at 2.0ghz each.

If you're talking about a 4400+, each physical core operates at 2.2GHz and has 1MB L2 Cache so it's basically like having two 3700+ San Diego cores...one is processing your gameplay and the other one could be doing something like burning a CD or something, if you look at it that way, it's quite a powerful processor

And of course one games become multithreaded both cores can be used to split the load meaning your processor is going to be powerful in a wide variety of enviroments for quite some time

What I take from it is, if a game is multithreaded, it essentially means an Opteron 170-- which has two cores at 2.0ghz--would play the game like a 4ghz processor. Then you factor in overclocking and DAYUM!

Am I right on this gaara?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom