choosing my new mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

raza

Baseband Member
I am between a GIGABYTE and an ABIT mobo, here they are:
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
and
Newegg.com - ABIT AB9 Pro LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

What I am looking for is good performance, easy overclock, *NO heating issues!* and a mobo that will last for as long as possible.

Some additional information:
I have a watercooling kit
using this CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

and will have those (RAM memory): Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

If you think that none of the above mobos are good for what i'll get please suggest another one!

also consider this mobo. it is pretty good. i would choose either msi or the gigabyt. not an abit fan.
Newegg.com - MSI P6N SLI-FI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
but if u wanna go with gigabyte, get this one, coz its cheaper and basically the same thing IMO
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 (rev. 1.3) LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

get the g skill ram, they are a lot better anc oc really well
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

get the e6320 processor instead, and overclock the **** out of it. it is basically the same as the e6600
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 Conroe 1.86GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

Yeah I recommend against the Corsair XMS2 if you are overclocking...

as for the e6320..it's a good CPU but the e6600 clocks higher on average

Thanks for your replies!

Well regarding the mobo i've seen several of those, basicaly what i am looking for is a good quality/price ratio to keep for as long as possible. I've never had a MSI before so i dont know if I should go with it, i'll have to read some reviews :p

G.SKILL? WOW for some reason they seem to be better that Corsair, but why are they cheaper? I really want to have a good pair of memory, so i'll think about getting these!

Last time i upgraded my mobo GIGABYTE seemed to be the "secure" choise, not the quite overclockable one, but secure, and that worked for me... I have my old one for 2years now with no problems... but now the manager of my local store told me that many GIGABYTE mobos were damaged for some reason, so he told me that ABIT would be a better choise... but it it?

well, the gigabyte ds3 is a great overlocker and the msi is too. trust me u wont be dissapointed.
this would be the best choice
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 (rev. 1.3) LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
and the e6320 will go up to 3.2ghz or even higher. does anyone need more than that? and is it worth 80$ dollars more grusan?
the gskill is really awesome and overclocks really. i really dont know why they are cheaper but they r the best bang for the buck right now.

so what other parts are u planning to buy?psu?gpu?

For now i'll just get 3 parts: CPU,mobo,RAM. I may need a new PSU as the one i have right now is 470W and i dont know if it's going to hold all the parts i'll put in there, i also have some UV lights that i want to use, so i might change that too.

My current GPU is a 7600GT, which i think is ok for someone who doesnt play a game for too long! So this is prolly the last part im going to change :p

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Those G.skill will do 4-4-4-12 timings at 1000mhz and 5-5-5-15 at 1200mhz.

The reason they are so much better and cheaper is becuase right now I believe you are paying for the name "Corsair". You see, Corsair is so well known for making the best memory that they don't have to give that good of a price/performance and thousands will still rush to purchase them just becuase of the Corsair name. Their XMS2 line of memory is a huge disappointment since only the DDR2-1000 series are guaranteed D9 Micron chips in them, while the G.skill HZ's are guaranteed D9's and then all of their other DDR2-800 kits have "binned" proMOS chips that they put in to ensure very good overclocks for your money.

Corsair may have slightly better service but G.skill has excellent customer support as well and that is why I am a large advocate of G.skill ram. It's the only one thing that I am a huge fanboy of and try to always recommend.

Out of those boards the AB9 pro is very nice but I am more sold with the DS3 when it comes to overclocking.

Well i like the G.SKILL memory and i may buy them instead of buying Corsair which i have already tried in the past.

Now i'm between 3 mobos though!
The 2 i've mentioned before and this one:
Newegg.com - ASUS P5B Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Seems pretty nice to me, but whats with the optional fan? Cos last time i bought a mobo with an optional fan northbridge was waaaay hotter that i expected, and the fan was loud! If you have this mobo let me know!

i have the p5b deluxe and it's a great mobo....especially for overclocking.

It's got excellent cooling....however that optional fan is only used when the CPU is water cooled as the normal CPU fan provides enough airflow over the heatsink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom