Choosing a case

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCoffee

Fully Optimized
OK I've got a new gaming build coming up around the end of June and i've been trying to settle on a case, I've narrowed it down to the CM Centurion 590 and the Antec 300 but I just can't decide between them. Please give me your opionions to help me decide! (they cost about the same from OCUK)

Here are my thoughts so far:

CM 590:
Pros:
Lots of space
Good cable management
Semi-Toolless design
looks good
Cons:
lots of mesh and no filters... Dust!
Have read that the side vent ports are noisy because there is no clearance... Bad!
Only 4 HDD bays.. I may need more within a couple of years
Some say the build quality isn't the best

Antec 300:
Pros:
Looks sweet
Has filters on the intakes plus easy access to the fans
takes 6 HDDs
Has a nice big 140mm exhaust at the top
Cons:
A bit cramped
cable management is a B at best though a modular PSU will help
Interior is pretty basic, lots of screws

At the moment i'm leaning toward the Antec 300 and perhaps dremeling holes into the mobo tray... or I might just not bother, after all there is no window and with a modular PSU the cables shouldn't be that bad.

I have used the antec 300 in builds and I think it is really nice for a midsize case. Even without a modular psu there is enough room in the cable management area to place your extra cables. This was with a corsair 750tx which has a lot of extra wires. A gtx260 fits in fine but a little tight.

I prefer a full tower case but, if size is an issue I really enjoyed working with the 300.

Firstly that case is cheapest from:
Antec 300 Three Hundred Black Case - No PSU - Ebuyer (free shipping ;))

Secondly I would go with one of these as I just love lian li style and quality (the cooling isn't quite as expandable as the 300 though):
Lian-Li PC-A05A Aluminium Silver Mini Tower Without PSU - Scan.co.uk
Lian-Li PC7-B Plus II Black Aluminum Midi Tower Case Without PSU - Scan.co.uk
Lian-Li PCA09B Aluminium Black Midi Tower Case Without PSU - Scan.co.uk

(If you sign up free to the hexus forums on hexus.co.uk you get free shipping from scan)

Those are both good cases, I like Antec AND the CM 590. For looks alone I would go with the 590. I've also used many Cooler Master cases and have never had a problem with their build quality.

For the fact that you'll need more hard drive bays than four in a couple of years I would go with the Antec. I know that you want one of those two cases, but if you're going to be running more than four hard drives I personally would considr a larger case. 5 hard drives are going to effect air flow and heat a good amount.

I have the 300 and highly recommend it. I have used toolless Cooler Master cases before and while they are nice I prefer the thumb screws in the antec.

Well, thanks for the advice, i've decided to go with the Antec 300. Thumb screws are alright, i've got plenty of them in my current Lian-Li, I too have built a system in a toolless CM case (the ammo) and the innovative features are refreshing but not really neccessary, I can live without.

Saltynay, I do like the Lian-Li's but i've had three of them and to be frank i'm just bored with Lian-Li now - I'm scrapping my current case because it uses 80mm fans but other than that i've been very happy with it, good quality all round and the removable mobo tray is a great addition to a midi case.

P.S. One last thing thats bothering me though, the 300 isn't as roomy as it might be.. will it fit a HD4870 or a HD4890 OK?

I have a 300. In a word, its simple. By no means ugly, but not flashy. Airflow is not a problem for me. I was able to add 2 fans in the front next to the wire mesh and temps are great with normal air cooling.

It is my favorite case and I do prefer it over stuff like the 900.

EDIT. and cool lights always add to the aesthetics.

Yes I was looking for something understated and stylish rather than flashy, I find the simple lines and the mesh appealing.
I often run my PC through the night and its in my bedroom so lights weren't really an option. Windows and lights would be wasted anyway because I have a huge desk and my PC sits behind it against the wall out of sight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom