Choosing between the 88000GTX or the 8800Ultra KO

Status
Not open for further replies.

bull3tx2

Solid State Member
Newegg.com - EVGA 768-P2-N885-AR GeForce 8800Ultra KO 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

Newegg.com - EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

I obviously know the Ultra is better, but by how much exactly. I plan on playing Crysis a lot in the future.

With a 8800Ultra and a Q6600, 4 gb of ballistix ram, and Windows Vista, will it really make much of a difference in FPS when playing all maxed out. Is it really worth buying the Ultra, or should I buy the 8800GTX and later on buy the new 9000 series cards. And if I buy an 8800 Ultra, how long do you think it will run games on high for me. I've been wondering about this, considering the low FPS I've seen on people's machines (Good PCs) while playing Crysis on all high.

Even with the ultra dont expect to max out crysis. I think even with two of them you wouldnt be getting a smooth frame rate on max.

Having said that if you can get the ultra go for it. Is it worth an extra $150...well, probably pretty close yeh. The 9000 series are months away, so it just really depends if you want to play crysis on med-high or high settings (with AA and AF) at the moment.

EDIT: To put it into perspective i am playing on high settings with no AA, and getting 30+ most of the time. With AA i have to drop it down to medium tho.

What? Its 1440x900, and I didnt click on the link to the monitor.

At that resolution, a 8800GT would do fine IMO.

Isn't 1440x900 widescreen? I'm pretty sure my monitor isn't widescreen and I'll probably run crysis on 1280x1024

Isn't 1440x900 widescreen? I'm pretty sure my monitor isn't widescreen and I'll probably run crysis on 1280x1024

Oh sorry. But the pixels basically add up to be the same. Why arent you going widescreen? IMO it is vastly superior to 4:3.

Still, I would still go with 8800GT or RV670. 8800GTX/ULTRA would be overkill.

Oh sorry. But the pixels basically add up to be the same. Why arent you going widescreen? IMO it is vastly superior to 4:3.

Still, I would still go with 8800GT or RV670. 8800GTX/ULTRA would be overkill.

Heh, the reason I'm not going widescreen is probably because I'm not used to it, otherwise I probably would.

Newegg.com - EVGA 768-P2-N885-AR GeForce 8800Ultra KO 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

Newegg.com - EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

I obviously know the Ultra is better, but by how much exactly. I plan on playing Crysis a lot in the future.

With a 8800Ultra and a Q6600, 4 gb of ballistix ram, and Windows Vista, will it really make much of a difference in FPS when playing all maxed out. Is it really worth buying the Ultra, or should I buy the 8800GTX and later on buy the new 9000 series cards. And if I buy an 8800 Ultra, how long do you think it will run games on high for me. I've been wondering about this, considering the low FPS I've seen on people's machines (Good PCs) while playing Crysis on all high.

Remember that Crysis is not a game that can be maxed out with current gen of video cards, like the Designer told in a interview I read sometime ago (I believe it was in gamespot) he said that this game will be far from today's tech and the game is supposedly to be 2 to 3 years ahead current hardware, something like that.

unless you are gaming at 1680x1050 or more just go with the GTX.

you dont need the OC version of the Ultra. mine does 710/2300 just fine.

also, if you want a GOOD motherboard, go with a Asus P5K Deluxe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom