Chooseing components for first editing computer Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolswan

Beta member
Hey there guys!!
I have been searching through the forums here for a while trying to compile some information as far as what I want to build for my first ever computer.. And I finally decided that I just needed to come out and just ask my questions..

To start out, I am into video editing and until now I have only been able to work with Windows movie maker on a old laptop :( .. but I have worked with Vegas at school and have decided that I am going to build this computer to run Vegas as my editing program of choice, and I am currently not shooting in HD but would like to some time in the future.. and I am going to run Vista 64-bit so that I can use as Much RAM as possible.. My budget is somewhere around the $800 mark.. so any help with my questions would be appreciated...

So I have decided on a Quad Core Intel and have found combo deals on Newegg with either the Intel Q9400 or the Q9550 and the ASUS P5Q PRO Mobo.. there is a $30 diffenence between them, SO my question is, would it be worth the $30 to jump from the 2.66HGz 9400 to the 2.83GHz 9550?

Then I am going to be running 8GB of Kingston DDR2 RAM..

My next questions come in the form of Hard drives, I was going to run a 10,000 RPM boot Drive with either a raid array of two storage drives or a single TB drive.. but then realized that 10k RPM drives are way expensive, SO I want opinions on what I should do for a HDD situation??

Next It a Graphics card? I am pretty clueless here.. I dont do any gaming, (just stupid online ones :D ) But I know that I will be running dual monitors,nothing huge or super high quality or large.. but I may even be dabbling into running the computer with our HDTV as a monitor.. and I would be editing so I am clueless as to where I land in the realm of graphics cards.. I know you can drop a ton on them, or get buy with integrated... but I just want opinions on what I need..

I will be running a regular DVD/CD drive... nothing to special I need there right?

And I believe I have covered everything except for the case/PSU I figured that A 650W or so would be fine.. Right?
and If I could find a case/PSU combo that would be fine.. I really am not that worried about looks for this computer.. I just want something that runs cool and stable.. and I also wanted to ask if you guys thought I needed any extra fans to move air and keep everything cool.. and I am on a budget.. so this is one where I know you guys could help..

So here is my build so far..

Intel Q9400/P5Q or Q9550/P5Q $290- $310

4GB(2X2GB) Kingston RAM X2 $60x2=$120

so like I said I am shooting for right around $800 or so.. not super tight on that but Around there would be nice.. so thanks in advice guys!!

I'm actually trying to put a similar system together at the moment.
From what I've read, I think you would be fine with getting 7200rpm hard drives. If you get 2 and RAID them together I think you will have good speed from them. Personally I am looking at getting two 640GB 7200rpm drives and RAIDing them.
From what I can tell, the performance increase with 10000rpm drives is not really worth the price. But then, I've never actually compared them personally, so I could be wrong :)

As for the graphic card, thats the part I'm stuck on too, so can't really help you there sorry.
A 650W power supply should be plenty, but I think its important to get a good quality one. I think corsair is considered pretty good, but maybe someone can elaborate on this...

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I'll post more if I figure it out :)

I'm actually trying to put a similar system together at the moment.
From what I've read, I think you would be fine with getting 7200rpm hard drives. If you get 2 and RAID them together I think you will have good speed from them. Personally I am looking at getting two 640GB 7200rpm drives and RAIDing them.
From what I can tell, the performance increase with 10000rpm drives is not really worth the price. But then, I've never actually compared them personally, so I could be wrong :)

As for the graphic card, thats the part I'm stuck on too, so can't really help you there sorry.
A 650W power supply should be plenty, but I think its important to get a good quality one. I think corsair is considered pretty good, but maybe someone can elaborate on this...

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I'll post more if I figure it out :)

yea with the drives, I was going to do a 10k RPM drive as a boot drive that would run My OS and then two 7200 drives in raid array as storage drives but idk the 10k drives are expensive.

For that purpose you might be better off going with a SSD for your OS drive. They are expensive too though. But if its just for OS and applications, it doesn't need to be a huge drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom