a choice between graphics cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
exactly. i want it from a reliable source, for one.
no, actually, benchmarks are not the same as playing a game.
i've seen 3dmark06 benchmarks for the 8800gt, and that certainly isnt the same.
i haven't found (nor have i really tried) to find any actual in-game benchmarks. the only ones that i have found show the GT outperforming the GTS 320 AND 640, and nipping at the heels of the GTX. which, if the rumored price is correct, would be a rather stupid business decision on nvidia's part. how are they going to sell the GTX (or the GTS' for that matter)? and why would they build a card that performs in the neighborhood as their FLAGSHIP (ultra) card, and then sell it for less than half of the cost? see what i mean? that just sounds kinda fishy.
wishful thinking?
not really. the 7.10 drivers caused a HUGE increase in certain games.
as far as the cards themselves i would have to say (with more evolved drivers) that the XT has a pretty decent chance of at the very least performing in par with a GTX, depending on the resolution (and the game of course).
are these the benchmarks you are talking about?
GeForce 8800 GT gaming benchmarks out - VR-Zone IT & Lifestyle Forum!

okay. i went to the website of the source of these (in taiwan)... these are the only ones i can find after looking a bit, and lemme tell ya...
it doesnt give the system specs, nor the driver version...really NOTHING but those graphs. that = unreliable. this guy could be sitting in his garage or pagoda or whatever making this stuff up.
and in any event...that aint really a spankin, lol...if its even right.
you know, i'd like to see some benchmark graphs on some games like:
BF2, COD, MOHAirborne (it taxes), stuff like that. its always the same...prey, fear, quake yadda yadda yadda.
when anandtech posts up some game benchmarks, i'll buy em.

and benchmarks arent always reliable- for one most put resolution max (yes i know) but see that can cause problems with the AF and other crap- basically your graphics card bottlenecking the actual performance.

Id rather see all 3 main resolutions benched on each card on each game- then that is a much better indication of what works.

as for more input - meh. I use an old Radeon 9000 128MB card and have for like 5 years.. Iam building a new computer.. the radeon plays games like Hellgate:London (although very laggy, 20ish fps, all low settings- IF you call that playing) so pretty much Med- to High graphics works for me- as for resolution I really dont like the highest out- iam more of a mid range resolutionist

wow reading on that site- its a bunch of bull- its a hoax. Theres no real info on anything- someone just made predictable comparisons and posted it like its the real benchmark. The forum readers havn't even caught on there just talkin about Sli (boo hiss waste of money!) the cards to make up the difference!! wow... what a pitiful site.. Iam sure glad THIS forum isn't that stupid.
ya caught me to it

"it doesnt give the system specs, nor the driver version...really NOTHING but those graphs. that = unreliable. this guy could be sitting in his garage or pagoda or whatever making this stuff up.
and in any event...that aint really a spankin, lol...if its even right."

100% agree with you. Its unreliable and Iam giving it 90% chance of being fake- afterall were just stupid americans (and friends, iam Us so I cant just say us lol) so what would WE know of a .tw website- not like we read it.

you cant compare a 2900 1GB to a 320MB GTS

i'm liking the 2900XT 512MB's better and better here lately. i'd like to see a pair of them in crossfire vs a pair of GTX's in SLI

They both are a waste of money, but in raw performance the GTXs would win hands down. Im sorry, idc what anybody says but the GTXs and Ultras are still todays fastest cards. The XT (no matter how many lame excuses of drivers people say) is still not as fast as the GTX in raw performance.

So whats a great card for the "I can't afford 400 dollar video card and I only use about mid to high instead of Max settings on games" user?

^^LOL w/e dude my 512 pro will max any game out at the moment, at least the ones i play. probably all the games you play, too.
MOHairborne is probably one of the most taxing games recently and it plays it with no lag twitch.
granted my resolution is 1280x1024. i can ga-rawn-tee that it will do it at high res as well.
im not comparing the XT(or pro) to a GTX...cos if you look, the GTX costs like 150.00 more than the XT. it costs A LOT more than the Pro. but, performance wise...meh...doesnt quite match up to the price difference, eh?
if my "excuse" of drivers affecting performance negatively OR positively makes no sense to you or its just "lame" lol, perhaps you should investigate the issue more closely. ATI has a more complex card, and their drivers are more complex and important to the overall operation of the card. the driver releases for ATI have gotten progressively (and exponentially, performance wise) better with each release.
dont get me wrong, i used nvidia for a long time and loved it. i've used both kinds of cards. i know the positive and negative of each. you should be nice instead of coming into our community and stepping on toes.
if you have a question or questions that need answers, there are many people willing to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom