Chipset Cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

manowar

In Runtime
Hi guys,

My computers been making a weird noise lately, so after testing today I located the problem, it seems my Chipset cooler is on the blink. (It's pretty old).

I'm planning on purchasing a new one. However, as I'm a novice at upgrading PC's, I need some advice on chosing a Chipset Cooler.

The current chipset cooler is 40mm x 40mm X 10mm. The motherboard is a Asus A7V266-E (its an old PC, I'm in the process of tarting it up), with a Socket A AMD Athlon XP CPU.

Are there any particular chipset coolers for Socket A's? Do shops still stock 40mm x 40mm x 10mm's chipset coolers? Are there any chipset coolers you guys recommend?

I've uploaded of the mobo.

Thanks all,

Jonathan.

Attachments

• chips copy.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 42
Thanks Syrillian. The current Chipset cooler is held in the mobo via push pins, and it has a 3 pin connector, does this effect any of the CPU Chipset coolers you recommended? Do I have to take this into account?

manowar said:
Thanks Syrillian. The current Chipset cooler is held in the mobo via push pins, and it has a 3 pin connector, does this effect any of the CPU Chipset coolers you recommended? Do I have to take this into account?

Yes, take it into account. You might have to look at the underside of your MoBo to determine if you can mount the cooler effectively. If the retaining pins holding the current cooler are not compatible with the chipset cooler then you will have to try something else.
See it the push pin retainers can be remove without excessive force. Much of the time there will be a lock in the form of small plastic barb or tab. If the pin retainers can be removed, then you can use your own mounting hardware. Make sure that you use a "washer" between all hardware and the MoBo.
Remember, this is what you are shooting for: 1) Full/even coverage of HSF to Die/IHS; 2) Even pressure across the chipset (do not over-torque) and; 3) Clean (no pockets for air) contact on the die or IHS w/ quality TIC.

I hope this helps. :D

Thanks. I've managed to take the out chipset cooler out, it was held in by push pins. It looks like I'll have to take out the mobo in order to install the new chipset cooler, as its held in my the two push pins.

Thanks for you help.

My pleasure. Also when I said "washer" I was refering to the small cardboard type that come with Zalman's, or the small rubber ones that also come with coolers, NOT metal/alloy.

No offense, just did not want to the info to be mis-construed. I don't want to help you short or ruin your MoBo due to a misunderstanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom