Check my build for me please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spit-wad

Bake a Pretty Cake!
First time builder, I need absolutely everything.

I will be purchasing stuff July 1, so I wanted to make sure everything looks good. Note: Money is not that big of an issue, I wouldn't mind spending an extra hundred dollars on the build if it's for a good cause.

I will be getting almost everything from Newegg.

I MIGHT be getting a QX6850 for $240 or a QX6700 for $200 (from my job), so I based my build off of those, but I want to make sure everything also will work well with a Q6600 in case they run out of supply of the extremes.

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/...hListNumber=9663088&WishListTitle=NewComputer

Also I will be getting a monitor from a local store, and an OS from my school (I'm planning on XP because I have some software that I know is not compatible with Vista)
Does everything else there look good?
Is there anything else I need?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

PSU: Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 Power Supply 90 - 264 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Power Supplies or Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W Continuous @ 40°C EPS12V Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, cUL, CE, CB, TUV - Power Supplies

Memory/RAM: a better Gskill with better timings only 5 more doesnt have MIR Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory there is other cheaper 4GB DDR2 800 RAM

HDD: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives if u need more space and i think it is faster than the 7200.11 but the 7200.11 is fine

MOBO: Maybe someone can help u more on this since i havent been on alot to see how the P45/P43 performs they should be around the price range of the P35

DVD Burner: Did you notice ur getting 2 IDE Optical Drives

GPU: You can get this it is cheap and better Newegg.com - ECS N8800GTS-512MX GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Aftermarket Cooler: Get a XIGMATEK Rifle if u are going with Quad Core and going to overclock. AC7 are usually for low budget or cheap dual cores cooling

Case: Check the NZXT Tempest or if u want a full tower how about the GIGABYTE 570

Headset: dont know nothing about them

Optical drives: No I did not notice they were IDE, thanks for the catch. Suggest a different one?

HDD: I was originally planning on the WD u suggested, but I've heard that the 32mb cache can really make a difference. And I'm sure 500gb will be plenty for me

GPU: There's been such a big hype about the 8800gt... i know people who have them, and they love them...

Case: Same, everyone seems to love the Antec 900 - I'll be using this in a dorm, so I need to make sure my rig is as quiet as possible - the larger fan on top should keep the noise level down and provide good cooling, no?

RAM: Don't know the diff, but the one I chose seems to be a lot more popular with better ratings

CPU cooler: Everyone was telling me AC7, seemed to be the popular one

Power supply: I have no idea... whats the main advantage with the one you suggested compared to the one I picked out?

And mouse/keyboard/headset I don't need help on, I already know those are the ones I want

btw, is there an easy way to link to Newegg products? I see everyone uses links with the same format... am I missing something?

They aren't we just recommended the 7200.11's because the WD's used to be too pricey but this changes things a lot :D

hdtachreadwe4.gif

WD 640GB drives are one of the fastest 7200RPM drives right now.
but that seagate is fine too

next, may I suggest you with the ATi 4850? about $200 (some have MIR)
8800GT is hawt, no doubt, but now the new gen cards are out... you might want to take a look at those
(I strongly suggest you take a look at those)

Optical- they are all pretty good now since they have been around for while
just pick a name brand SATA (u might have not heard of lite-on but they r good)
a feature to look for is lite-scribe, if you are into that, personally I just use a sharpie

Case- personal choice....
I've got the 900, I don't think its very quite... might want to change the 120mm fans(not the big one on top) if you want quite-ness

prototype is right rifle seems to way to way to go

PSU- they are all solid units, you will be happy with any out of those 3

linking- just copy and paste the address bar, forum will auto parse the link for you

So far the suggestions above seem good, a decent headset is the Icemat Siberia... really good for a budget

siberia is nice no doubt
but its only comfortable for like 2 hours, that why I am selling mine
but then again I have big ears haha

people should shoot me some offers :(
I only used it for 2 hours

In case you were interested another alternative to the Antec 900 is the NZXT Tempest. They have just as good if not better cooling, and cost less. In fact I have a few for sale for the absolute cheapest price on our Buy/Sell/Trade forum:

NZXT Super Deals!

i know its not that big of a deal, but the key board, i have the same one, good key board not worth $50 though, im not trying to talk you out of it but for the price i was hoping for a few more features other then a light up keyboard, i am sure there are better $50 keyboard out there. or cheaper ones the lightup if thats what your looking for

try get the gskill NQ if you can for a good price, they are monster overclockers, but any gskill set will overclock good anyway.

the keyboard is only $35
and i dont rly need convincing on mouse/keyboard/headset, i'm pretty set on those

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom