Check my build for me please - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 06-20-2008, 01:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Bake a Pretty Cake!
Default Check my build for me please

First time builder, I need absolutely everything.

I will be purchasing stuff July 1, so I wanted to make sure everything looks good. Note: Money is not that big of an issue, I wouldn't mind spending an extra hundred dollars on the build if it's for a good cause.

I will be getting almost everything from Newegg.

I MIGHT be getting a QX6850 for $240 or a QX6700 for $200 (from my job), so I based my build off of those, but I want to make sure everything also will work well with a Q6600 in case they run out of supply of the extremes.

Also I will be getting a monitor from a local store, and an OS from my school (I'm planning on XP because I have some software that I know is not compatible with Vista)
Does everything else there look good?
Is there anything else I need?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Default Re: Check my build for me please

PSU: - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 Power Supply 90 - 264 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Power Supplies or - PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W Continuous @ 40°C EPS12V Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, cUL, CE, CB, TUV - Power Supplies

Memory/RAM: a better Gskill with better timings only 5 more doesnt have MIR - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory there is other cheaper 4GB DDR2 800 RAM

HDD: - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives if u need more space and i think it is faster than the 7200.11 but the 7200.11 is fine

MOBO: Maybe someone can help u more on this since i havent been on alot to see how the P45/P43 performs they should be around the price range of the P35

DVD Burner: Did you notice ur getting 2 IDE Optical Drives

GPU: You can get this it is cheap and better - ECS N8800GTS-512MX GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Aftermarket Cooler: Get a XIGMATEK Rifle if u are going with Quad Core and going to overclock. AC7 are usually for low budget or cheap dual cores cooling

Case: Check the NZXT Tempest or if u want a full tower how about the GIGABYTE 570

Headset: dont know nothing about them

Project [PROTOTYPE] | Intel Core i7 Bloomfield
i7 920 4.4GHz | XFX 5870 Crossfire 900/1300 Mhz | EVGA E760 Classified | Windows 7 Ultimate | Logitech G5 | Logitech G15 | Silverstone Raven RV02 | Corsair 850HX
WD 640GB Black | WD 320GB External | Megahalems | G.Skill 6GB 1866 9-9-9-21
Tech-Forums 1st 30K 3DMARK06

Intel Core i5 Lynnfield (Completed)
Old 06-20-2008, 04:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Bake a Pretty Cake!

Optical drives: No I did not notice they were IDE, thanks for the catch. Suggest a different one?

HDD: I was originally planning on the WD u suggested, but I've heard that the 32mb cache can really make a difference. And I'm sure 500gb will be plenty for me

GPU: There's been such a big hype about the 8800gt... i know people who have them, and they love them...

Case: Same, everyone seems to love the Antec 900 - I'll be using this in a dorm, so I need to make sure my rig is as quiet as possible - the larger fan on top should keep the noise level down and provide good cooling, no?

RAM: Don't know the diff, but the one I chose seems to be a lot more popular with better ratings

CPU cooler: Everyone was telling me AC7, seemed to be the popular one

Power supply: I have no idea... whats the main advantage with the one you suggested compared to the one I picked out?

And mouse/keyboard/headset I don't need help on, I already know those are the ones I want

btw, is there an easy way to link to Newegg products? I see everyone uses links with the same format... am I missing something?
Old 06-20-2008, 06:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Resident Nightowl

Originally Posted by vernong1992 View Post
They aren't we just recommended the 7200.11's because the WD's used to be too pricey but this changes things a lot

WD 640GB drives are one of the fastest 7200RPM drives right now.
but that seagate is fine too

next, may I suggest you with the ATi 4850? about $200 (some have MIR)
8800GT is hawt, no doubt, but now the new gen cards are out... you might want to take a look at those
(I strongly suggest you take a look at those)

Optical- they are all pretty good now since they have been around for while
just pick a name brand SATA (u might have not heard of lite-on but they r good)
a feature to look for is lite-scribe, if you are into that, personally I just use a sharpie

Case- personal choice....
I've got the 900, I don't think its very quite... might want to change the 120mm fans(not the big one on top) if you want quite-ness

prototype is right rifle seems to way to way to go

PSU- they are all solid units, you will be happy with any out of those 3

linking- just copy and paste the address bar, forum will auto parse the link for you
Old 06-20-2008, 07:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

So far the suggestions above seem good, a decent headset is the Icemat Siberia... really good for a budget
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 06-20-2008, 08:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Resident Nightowl

siberia is nice no doubt
but its only comfortable for like 2 hours, that why I am selling mine
but then again I have big ears haha

people should shoot me some offers
I only used it for 2 hours
Old 06-20-2008, 07:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Techie
Send a message via AIM to NightSurge

In case you were interested another alternative to the Antec 900 is the NZXT Tempest. They have just as good if not better cooling, and cost less. In fact I have a few for sale for the absolute cheapest price on our Buy/Sell/Trade forum:

NZXT Super Deals!

If I was helpful, please click the icon on the left hand side of this message that looks like a check mark Thanks!

Old 06-20-2008, 07:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via AIM to pts2800

i know its not that big of a deal, but the key board, i have the same one, good key board not worth $50 though, im not trying to talk you out of it but for the price i was hoping for a few more features other then a light up keyboard, i am sure there are better $50 keyboard out there. or cheaper ones the lightup if thats what your looking for
CPU-Intel Pentium D 2.80GHz
mobo-Dell Dell DXP051
CD Drive-sony dvd-rom DDU1615, philips DVD+-RW DVD8701
video-nVIDIA Geforce 7800ght 256mb

LAPTOP: old and broken looking for new one
Old 06-20-2008, 08:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Techie

try get the gskill NQ if you can for a good price, they are monster overclockers, but any gskill set will overclock good anyway.
<<<Please give me Rep if I have helped you<<<

I7 930 @ 4GHz : Noctua D-14
Gigabyte X58A-UD7 : Asus GTX 480
G.Skill Trident 1600MHz 6-8-7-18 : Samsung F3 1TB
OCZ Vertex 2 50GB : Silverstone RV02 Case
Silverstone Strider Plus 1Kw : Sony DRU-870s Optical
Samsung P2350 Monito

Old 06-20-2008, 11:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Bake a Pretty Cake!

the keyboard is only $35
and i dont rly need convincing on mouse/keyboard/headset, i'm pretty set on those

Closed Thread