Check build please

Status
Not open for further replies.

apsoul

In Runtime
First I'd like to say thanks for all the great help I've gotten here, I've learned much in the last couple weeks. Now I know I have been rather indecisive about my thoughts on this build, but I think I have come up with something I'm satisfied with. This will be a step by step upgrade and components will be listed in the order that I plan on buying them. This will allow me to use the piece as soon as it comes in, while still retaining full computer function. I should be buying the case rather soon and I believe i am getting CPU cooler, MOBO, and GPU for X-mas.

CORSAIR 650TX (Ordered yesterday)
Lancool PC-K62 ATX Mid-Tower $119.99
SUNBEAM 120mm Core-Contact Freezer $24.99 after $15 MIR
ASUS M4A79 Deluxe 790FX and ASUS Radeon HD 4770 512MB Combo (if still available) $178.99+$109.99 - $15 for combo
AMD Phenom II x4 955 3.2GHz Black Edition 125w $189.00
G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2 1100 1.8-1.9v 5-5-5-15 $89.99

Comes to about $700 not including PSU because i have that already. My main areas of uncertainty would be the GPU and the HSF. Everthing else I am rather confident in. What do we think? Anywhere I might be able to cut back price while retaining relatively the same performance? Thanks again

Is there a reason that I shouldn't go with the G.Skill? I was planning on OC'ing it to 1200 or scaling back from 1100 to 1066 or lower for better timings. Thats why i went with the lower voltage. The Patriot that you showed is slightly slower, requires more volts, and is only a couple bucks cheaper. Just curious as to your reason for suggesting that, but I do trust your judgment more than my own being as this is my first build :thumbsup:

I went with this one mainly because it's got a more standard stock speed and good timings. I've never been much for overclocking RAM, it doesn't offer that much of a performance boost really.

However everything you said is absolutely right, either oc'ing to 1200 or backing down to 1066 for faster timings is possible. Out of those I'd go for the 1200 oc.

Your choice in the end, either will do fine for you and honestly you're not gonna see that much of a difference between the two.

Thanks much. I think i will get the ddr2 1100 just because i would like to play around with overclocking. I've never done it before and would like to give it a try(feel like i would be wasting my money on the asus m4a79 deluxe if i didn't OC stuff haha), I figure the extra $10 or so spent on the 1100 will be worth the experience of tinkering with speeds and voltages :) also I've heard that it isn't good to fill the ram slots with sticks that are over 1.8v. Is this true? because i was thinking of going to 8mb in the future. I understand that it probably won't offer much of a boost now, but in the future it might, and I plan on using this rig for a while.

On the MOBO/CPU combo... I saw that deal and would love to get it, however the mobo/gpu combo is going to be an xmas present and if they were to get me the mobo/cpu then i wouldn't have any cash for the gpu. I didn't plan on getting the new cpu until at least february, and by then some new stuff will probably come out. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place as they say.

Good call on the 4850. Will probably get that separate. Checking new deals now...

EDIT: Well i was about to order the case, when I realized that after shipping the Lancool came out to $138. The coolermaster haf 932 is currently 139.99 with free shipping. It is a little big for my needs, but I have the desk space and who knows, I might want to go tri-crossfire and liquid cooling someday. It also comes with far superior airflow out of the box. I will be going with the haf :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom