Cheapest cpu at last for gaming - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 12:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: Cheapest cpu at last for gaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotter View Post
Pardon me, but screw Crysis. It is a badly-coded fest of eye-candy designed to bring a system to its knees if at all possible. Trying to use Crysis as a basis for browbeating someone into buying more than they want or can afford is just bad practice.

Hikari's suggested AMD parts are valid. If nothing else, slap in some extra RAM and skip the discreet card for now. No, you won't be able to play the newest titles with everything turned all the way up, but you will be able to play older titles at a decent framerate. Hexk, I survived on a MX4000 for a couple of years, so I know it can be done... and the 780G would blow it out of the water.

At least the AMD/780G path would allow for a decent upgrade later on down the road.
This post made me fall in love with you, rofl. If I had more space in my sig I would totally quote you.

The 780G on it's own can play some newer titles at decently high quality settings in lower to mid resolutions. If you throw that cheap 3-series in there, that's just butter.

By the way, MX series REPRESENT. ;D

thirdshiftdj - what on earth are you trying to say???
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM or IM.
If I helped you out, or what I just said rocked you like a hurricane, hit the little thingie over there.
<-------------------------------
Old 01-08-2009, 12:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Techie

well the 780G which u guys have been mentionin is not available here in the local stores ..how about this mobo

GA-MA74GM-S2 AMD740G,V,16x,S,

www.deltapage.com

Old 01-08-2009, 12:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I guess that one would be ok. It's basically a cheaper chipset, only having an onboard HD 2100 instead of the 3200. If you get that, you will need to grab a video card too if you want to game at any decent levels.
thirdshiftdj - what on earth are you trying to say???
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM or IM.
If I helped you out, or what I just said rocked you like a hurricane, hit the little thingie over there.
<-------------------------------
Old 01-08-2009, 12:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Techie

oh cool...welll that mobo in my list....how abt video card??? 8800gt (512mb) ??
Old 01-08-2009, 01:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Yap 8800gt is a gud bang for buck performer. At low resolutions it would max out most games out there.
2x2gb(4gb) G.skill ram
Saphire HD4850 512mb
2x350gb SATA
22x samsung dvd burner
22" samsung monitor
Vista home premium 64bit
Old 01-08-2009, 03:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotter View Post
Pardon me, but screw Crysis. It is a badly-coded fest of eye-candy designed to bring a system to its knees if at all possible. Trying to use Crysis as a basis for browbeating someone into buying more than they want or can afford is just bad practice.

Hikari's suggested AMD parts are valid. If nothing else, slap in some extra RAM and skip the discreet card for now. No, you won't be able to play the newest titles with everything turned all the way up, but you will be able to play older titles at a decent framerate. Hexk, I survived on a MX4000 for a couple of years, so I know it can be done... and the 780G would blow it out of the water.

At least the AMD/780G path would allow for a decent upgrade later on down the road.

Though I would go with the suggestion of getting good base parts but using built in graphics for now (buy a good dedicated card later when you need it). If you did buy one now then a 8800/9800gt or ati 4830 would be great if you could somehow fit that into your budget.

I just don't understand why people always say Crysis is badly coded. Even on Medium it looks great. I remember when it came out it was the best looking game I could play on my overclocked x1800xl. Of course I couldn't max it (had a mix of low, medium, and high) but I couldn't max COD4 either but Crysis was the better looking game on my system. So at least in my eyes it couldn't be badly coded and look so good on a not so great computer. And now I run it on high settings with 2xAA and it looks and runs great.

If anything I would say GTA4 should get the title of worse coded computer game because you practically have to have a quad to run it on any setting without massive frame drops.

Closed Thread