cheapest build possible - Page 4 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 02:49 AM   #31 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

Default Re: cheapest build possible

yeah, but why not go a little above what his girlfriend, who doesnt know s**t (no offense OP), expects in her computer. isnt that why we do what we do, and help people out?
dude celerons SUCK.
my moms pentium 4 SUCKS.
thats why i am building her a computer with my old 4200.
she thinks her p4 SUCKS.
why not pay, what...fifty bucks? more said and done and get a dual core that will actually perform for awhile...wether it be games or internet or wtf ever.
your effin crazy if you think that the 30 dollars difference in price of cpus (celeron d versus 3600) is not worth it. no matter who you are or what you are doing. wether its for gramma or girlfriend or whoever.
p.s. maroon do you think that a 2140 will perform better than a 3600 (i dont think lol) plus its more expensive. but nice build overall.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:51 AM   #32 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

like posted previously, i am only agreeing with nagasama. words such as "jackass" is not needed. i don't even know why you hate me so much. im sorry that i have ruined your post dario but when KingAuston said "stfu dr. phil. Your reasons are dumb and you're a hypocrite. He's not buying a computer for his girlfriend's friends, just her. There's no reason to accommodate other people on his bill." about my agreement with nagasama, i just had to defend myself.

dario, this is your build so take which ever opinion you like.

i will no longer be posting in this thread because i feel i have ruined dario's thread.

Opteron 165 cooled by Zalman 9500A LED // DFI Lanparty UT NF4-D // Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 3.0Gb/s 320-GB Hard Drive // Sapphire X1950XT 256MB cooled by Zalman VF900 Cu LED // 2x1GB OCZ EL Plantinum // Enermax NoiseTaker 430W // Pioneer DVD & Combo Optical Drive // 20" Samsung 206BW Monitor // Logitech Z-2300 Speakers // Logitech G11 Keyboard and Microsoft Sidewinder mouse // Antec Nine Hundred Case
Old 06-06-2007, 02:55 AM   #33 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

stfu dr. phil
woot just kiddin bro its okay we get excited around here sometime you know that.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:06 AM   #34 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

LOL.... I AM SO SORRY AMD GT PLAYER. i guess i was getting carried away and i was reading another thread somewhere else. i been calling you dario this whole time. =D sorry about that Amd GT Player. =P
Opteron 165 cooled by Zalman 9500A LED // DFI Lanparty UT NF4-D // Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 3.0Gb/s 320-GB Hard Drive // Sapphire X1950XT 256MB cooled by Zalman VF900 Cu LED // 2x1GB OCZ EL Plantinum // Enermax NoiseTaker 430W // Pioneer DVD & Combo Optical Drive // 20" Samsung 206BW Monitor // Logitech Z-2300 Speakers // Logitech G11 Keyboard and Microsoft Sidewinder mouse // Antec Nine Hundred Case
Old 06-06-2007, 03:27 AM   #35 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to KingAustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagasama View Post
yeah, but why not go a little above what his girlfriend, who doesnt know s**t (no offense OP), expects in her computer. isnt that why we do what we do, and help people out?
dude celerons SUCK.
my moms pentium 4 SUCKS.
thats why i am building her a computer with my old 4200.
she thinks her p4 SUCKS.
why not pay, what...fifty bucks? more said and done and get a dual core that will actually perform for awhile...wether it be games or internet or wtf ever.
your effin crazy if you think that the 30 dollars difference in price of cpus (celeron d versus 3600) is not worth it. no matter who you are or what you are doing. wether its for gramma or girlfriend or whoever.
p.s. maroon do you think that a 2140 will perform better than a 3600 (i dont think lol) plus its more expensive. but nice build overall.
She doesn't know s**t, that's why it doesn't matter what you put in the computer, that's my whole freaking argument and you just backed it up. I'm well aware celerons suck, I'm well aware pentium 4's suck, I've had my experience with both. But you have to look at this from her perspective, she doesn't need more than a celeron if all she is going to be running is MSN and firefox!!! My PDA can run those 2 programs with the processor at 200mhz. If she was going to be doing anything else besides basic computing, then I would have no problem suggesting the 3600, but she isn't! And also it's not just the price difference between the CPUs, it's the price difference between the whole build. He is asking for the cheapest build for basic computing, not cheapest build to possibly do some gaming.
7900GT w/ Zalman vf900 650/800
Z-5500 Digital Speakers
22" Chimei + 19" BENQ
XClio 3060
Old 06-06-2007, 04:57 AM   #36 (permalink)
There and Back again

Since no one has brought it up...

What about a pre-built? if you build, yes that would mean more, but in the long run would you be there every time she needed help, or it needed to be reloaded or driver updates, etc...

Why not check out Dell or HP, or Acer... Something that's an all in one system... UNDER WARRENTY, and servicable by the company, and not by you. (This way, you can spend time with her, and not her computer)

NCIX.com - Buy Acer Aspire AST180-EA352B Desktop with AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2GHZ 512MB 160GB DVDRW Vista Home Basic - AST180-EA352B In Canada.
Desktop Computers, Desktop Computer, Desktop PC, Desktop PCs at TigerDirect.ca

Dell 4K S2817Q / Logitech Z-680 / Func MS3 Mouse / Corsair K70 LUX rgb
NZXT Source 530 / i5-7600K / Corsair H100i v2 / ASRock Z270 Extreme4
SM951 M2 256GB / 850 evo 1TB / Seagate 2TB / WD 2TB
2x16GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 / evga Classified GTX 980 ti / Seasonic M12II 850W

Old 06-06-2007, 06:40 PM   #37 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingAustin View Post
She doesn't know s**t, that's why it doesn't matter what you put in the computer, that's my whole freaking argument and you just backed it up. I'm well aware celerons suck, I'm well aware pentium 4's suck, I've had my experience with both. But you have to look at this from her perspective, she doesn't need more than a celeron if all she is going to be running is MSN and firefox!!! My PDA can run those 2 programs with the processor at 200mhz. If she was going to be doing anything else besides basic computing, then I would have no problem suggesting the 3600, but she isn't! And also it's not just the price difference between the CPUs, it's the price difference between the whole build. He is asking for the cheapest build for basic computing, not cheapest build to possibly do some gaming.
i see your point. let me rephrase my suggestion:
amd gt...if you are a good boyfriend you will build your girl a computer with a 3600.
lol heh heh its only 50 bucks you tightwad
Old 06-06-2007, 11:23 PM   #38 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagasama View Post
i see your point. let me rephrase my suggestion:
amd gt...if you are a good boyfriend you will build your girl a computer with a 3600.
lol heh heh its only 50 bucks you tightwad
but it doesn't even matter, if she used the machines she wouldn't notice a difference between them, essentially wasting $50.
Z-5500 Digital Speakers
22" Chimei + 19" BENQ
XClio 3060
Old 06-07-2007, 01:08 AM   #39 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingAustin View Post
but it doesn't even matter, if she used the machines she wouldn't notice a difference between them, essentially wasting $50.
actually, celerons are no longer supplied in canada.
Anitec.ca - Shop for CPU/Processors in Canada (Socket LGA775)
as you can see they are all on special order. that means the supplier is no longer supplying them and you have to order from US, china or whatever and this process can take about 1month

eventhough if you find a celeron its probably cost 95$ because all the low end celerons are no longer supplied while the higher end ones are more likely to be supplied. also, celerons that are found in canada right now are probably made in china. this is anther reason to stay away from celerons. its about a $5 difference from a 3600 x2

NCIX - Buy Intel CPU, Intel Pentium processor.
NCIX has all there celerons on order. eventhough it says its in stock you got to order them. if you dont believe me phone them.

EDIT: here's a prebuilt computer. the case looks like crap so you might want to change it.
Anitec.ca - Vanta System - VA100
Old 06-07-2007, 01:12 AM   #40 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazieaznboi View Post
actually, celerons are no longer supplied in canada.
Anitec.ca - Shop for CPU/Processors in Canada (Socket LGA775)
as you can see they are all on special order. that means the supplier is no longer supplying them and you have to order from US, china or whatever and this process can take about 1month

eventhough if you find a celeron its probably worth 95$ because all the low end celerons are no longer supplied while the higher end ones are more likely to be supplied. also, celerons that are found in canada right now is probably made in china. this is anther reason to stay away from celerons. its about a $5 difference.
It's a part of the barebones I linked to him earlier, so you wouldn't have to special order it.

Z-5500 Digital Speakers
22" Chimei + 19" BENQ
XClio 3060
Closed Thread