Cheap Semi-Gaming PC (less than 500 or so)

Status
Not open for further replies.

haha4646

Beta member
I'm looking to build a PC that can run most games pretty well--it doesn't need to be outstanding. I think i'm pretty good with computers, but I don't really have to much of an idea about what i'm doing here, mostly i've been asking friends for recommendations and browsing Newegg. I've chosen an AMD, but my heart is by no means set on it. My biggest problem is the video card, I've been told that i'd need to spend close to $200 for a descent one, but i've read alot of good reviews for cards that are a lot less. here is what i have so far.

CPU - Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane 2.5GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor - Retail - $115

MB - Newegg.com - BIOSTAR NF520-A2 Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 520 MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail - $50

Mem (2 of these) - Newegg.com - SUPER TALENT 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop Memory - Retail - $40 each $80 total

HD - Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM - $68

VC - Newegg.com - XFX PVT84JUDF3 GeForce 8600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail - $130

CD - Newegg.com - LITE-ON 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 40X CD-ROM IDE DVD Burner included extra White bezel - Retail - $30

Case w/ power supply - Newegg.com - RAIDMAX Scorpio ATX-868WBP Black 0.8mm Japanese SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 420watts PS2 ATX12V Power Supply - Retail - $50

total - $523

I have a monitor, etc. and i can add an expansion hard drive i already have as well as some memory and an extra cd drive. I'm really looking to spend as little as possible so if i'm overspending anywhere--which i highly doubt--i'd appreciate advice about that too. I'm not on a strict budget either, so if it makes sense to spend more then that's cool too.

Hey haha4646,
Welcome to T.F.!!!

Heres a budget build, that is capable of playing games, with decency:

Case - Cooler Master Centurion 5 or Cooler Master Centurion 534
Motherboard - Biostar TForce TF7025
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Brisbane
RAM - 2 x 1GB G. Skill NQs
Graphics - Sapphire X1950XT 256mb
Power supply - FSP Group (Fortron Source) 400W
Hard drive - WD 160GB hard drive
Optical drive - Sony NEC Optiarc DVD Burner

Total is $533.43 w/o shipping. Might be a little over budget, but this can play games, pretty well.

The X2 3600+ can easily overclock to 4800+ speeds.

Some will say, that the FSP power supply, I suggested is kind of low....but I think it's enough to do the job, and it's a great stable power supply. Here are other suggestions though:
Rosewill RP550 550W
or
XClio GOODPOWER 500W

wow thanks. so i should buy the power supply and the case separeately? also, do i need to do anything special when i overclock anything, like get more fans?

Yes, you should buy the case and power supply separately, like I suggested. Power supplies, included with cases, are not reliable at all.

When overclocking, it is usually recommended you get an aftermarket cooler. If you can afford it, I would suggest the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro

wow thanks. so i should buy the power supply and the case separeately? also, do i need to do anything special when i overclock anything, like get more fans?

yep... pick up an AF64, hey b1gapl.... how is that board at overclocking (can it push the brisbane to 3.0)??? i think i may scrap my e6750 build and pickup what u are recommending with an 8800gtx and call it a day.........

vernong1992 said:
yep... pick up an AF64, hey b1gapl.... how is that board at overclocking (can it push the brisbane to 3.0)??? i think i may scrap my e6750 build and pickup what u are recommending with an 8800gtx and call it a day.........

I'm sure it can, with adequate cooling.

Hey haha4646,
Welcome to T.F.!!!

Heres a budget build, that is capable of playing games, with decency:

Case - Cooler Master Centurion 5 or Cooler Master Centurion 534
Motherboard - Biostar TForce TF7025
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Brisbane
RAM - 2 x 1GB G. Skill NQs
Graphics - Sapphire X1950XT 256mb
Power supply - FSP Group (Fortron Source) 400W
Hard drive - WD 160GB hard drive
Optical drive - Sony NEC Optiarc DVD Burner

Total is $533.43 w/o shipping. Might be a little over budget, but this can play games, pretty well.

The X2 3600+ can easily overclock to 4800+ speeds.

Some will say, that the FSP power supply, I suggested is kind of low....but I think it's enough to do the job, and it's a great stable power supply. Here are other suggestions though:
Rosewill RP550 550W
or
XClio GOODPOWER 500W

Thats a good build for ya heh

Good thinking vernong. That will shave off some $10, off the processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom