A cheap AMD build..

Status
Not open for further replies.

RisingFalls

In Runtime
So I'm planning on building a very, very cheap AMD build for my cousin.

I've never been good with AMDs, so, could someone point me out if something here won't go together?

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel, SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Newegg.com - MSI K9MM-V Socket AM2 VIA K8M800 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Newegg.com - THERMALTAKE TR2 500W Power Supply ATX12V V2.0 - Retail

Newegg.com - Kingston ValueRAM 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Desktop Memory - Retail

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Brisbane 1.9GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor - Retail

I'm going to use my old Geforce 6200 with an AGP slot, to save some money instead of going for a PCI-E card / motherboard. I'm also throwing in my old CD/DVD drives, and maybe another case fan, since she'll never be overclocking it but she'll keep it on for long times.

After a couple more items, like the monitor, Windows XP, Mouse/keyboard, tax, and shipping, it comes out to nearly exactly $900.

Is this worth it, compatible, and/or good?

I was wondering how can a system like that be $900, what type of monitor are you going to purchase for her and other item you didn't list? That's quite expensive but lack real power for the price.

It's so expensive because I'm getting a $200 monitor and another $100 on Windows XP, another $100 for a mouse/keyboard..

It's so expensive because I'm getting a $200 monitor and another $100 on Windows XP, another $100 for a mouse/keyboard..

$100 for a mouse and keyboard??? u can buy a cheap one... and if u get a $200 monitor chances are with that agp card its not gonna be powerful enough, to run a game.... can't u reuse ur old copy of XP?

The build is worth $323 no shipping included.

Plus $400 for (monitor, keyboard/mouse and XP)

That's still about 170 to spend, I suggest you switch out the MB for one that supports PCIe and buy a better video card because I'm sure you'll need it if she wants to be able to run at higher resolution and enjoy it but that card should be able to do it.

Well, the $200 monitor I plan to keep for myself, after I give it to her, and let her use my old one.

I have an old 6200 that I never got to use, so I might as well put it to use, since she won't be doing anything that requires anything stronger than an AGP.

I didn't buy XP, it came with the one I bought before..so..I gotta buy it again..

The mouse/keyboard I am will be trading with the one I have right now with her.

not that im condoning thi in anyway but there are other ways of getting xp *shifty yes*
*guy from Resident Evil 4 pops up*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom