Changing Motherboard Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan_Kaizer

Daemon Poster
I will be changing my motherboard soon, from Newegg.com - ECS 945GCT-M/1333 (V3.0) LGA 775 Intel 945GC Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards to this: Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TP45HP LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards (Courtesy of Nos :D).

I have a few questions about doing so. I know how to do the hardware side of the swap, but what I don't know is the software part...

1) I have Vista 64 bit now, but I can't reinstall it, as I don't have my serial key or the disk. I do have a lot of stuff on this computer that I'd like to keep. Is there any way at all I can make this change without having to wipe my hard drive and reinstall an OS and all my stuff?

2) If I do need a new OS, I can use Server 2008 64 bit courtesy of Dreamspark. I'm downloading the iso now. Is all I need just this 1.75 gb iso mounted on a dvd? Or is there another disk I have to download? I just think it's kind of weird that's it's this small. Anyone who has gotten Server 08 through Dreamspark please inform me.

3) If I am installing a new OS, when I begin the install, will it automatically clear everything off my hard drive for me?

4) If I use a (unused) stock intel HSF when I put my C2D in the new motherboard, do I need to use thermal paste?

5) Anything else I need to know about the process?

Thanks,
Ethan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom