Changing Mobo's

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayMiller8080

In Runtime
If I were to only change my motherboard and keep every other component on my PC, would I have to get a new copy of windows 7? or Is that just saved to my hard drive?

Just curious, cause I want to expand a little on my build and wish I had a better mobo for it.

Depends, I went from one X58 board to another with no problems at all. I didn't even have to re-install any drivers, but that doesn't mean it will be the same for you. I suspect you'll be fine though, you might have to re-activate by phone.

I've decided against this in past few days, but I've just always had this off feeling that my mobo was the weakest component in my build. Besides that, there are some things that just bug me about it.

For instance if you want to plug in a front panel connector (on the Cooler Master Storm Scout case there is a button to control the LED lights of your case fans) you've ruined the idea of using a sound card, as the two slots are too close together.

It also made wire management kinda difficult when I installed a second GPU for SLI, just because of its layout. Also, those strangely placed SATA inputs proved to be a blessing and a curse. While I like how it conceals some of the cables and keeps things tidy, it was an enormous pain if I had to do any work in that region.

To be honest.. its mostly things I shouldn't really care about. Which is why I'll keep it and just keep upgrading this system (finally about to overclock the CPU a year after I built it! Thanks to everyone here for all your help over the course of this year!).

I've decided that overclocking my CPU, and improving case air flow and component temps would be a better upgrade than buying a new case (a bigger one since the size of this seems to create a temperature issue with a busy system) and motherboard just to give myself more room for expansion later. I think this one's got plenty of expanding left. I'm also thinking that a modular PSU can help with temperatures.

That's basically everything I've been considering in the last week or two. Any suggestions, comments, or input would be greatly appreciated, in case I'm terribly mistaken about something.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom