Changing main rig/server

y2adre

In Runtime
I current have an amd 6100 proc, 12 gigs ram, 60gig ssd, 2 1 tb for movies, 335gb for files system. I use for streaming movies all thru the house, file server, etc. I want to upgrade the proce. Should I go amd or intel. Preferably i5 or bulldozer 8120, or 8150. I need the power and I game on this too. Which way should I go and which one would be better? Thanks

Last edited:
You aren't going to get either for that price. You need a new board and RAM to go with the chip.

Edit: By 6100 do you mean the FX? If so, going to the 8150 won't grant much/any performance. Your best bet is to get the 8350 which is over your price range.

Oh ok, so the extra two cores won't help with power? I may consider the 8350. I do virtualization also on there. Linux distros

Oh ok, so the extra two cores won't help with power? I may consider the 8350. I do virtualization also on there. Linux distros
They aren't cores, it's an extra module. In games, no it won't help at all. It's IPC that matters in games.

The only real upgrade would be the 8350 due to Vishera having higher single threaded performance over Bulldozer. If you do VMs on there it might be your best bet so you have to consider what you want more. Gaming performance? Get a 3570k. VMs? 8350.

Back
Top Bottom