Changing the Heatsink Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrax

Daemon Poster
Is there any way I can only change the fan on the heatsink, and not the whole thing? I was interested in the Thermaltake Blue Orb II for awhile, but then I remembered that it would void my warranty if I used it.

So, is there any way I can only change the fan on the stock AMD heatsink? I only want a blue LED fan, so it will complete my case "look". Or should I just take the risk and get a Blue Orb II?

Any suggestions or help would be awesome.

One last question, those custom fan grills you can get for the side of your case if you have a side intake fan, can you use those on your PSU grill on the back?

Just get the Blue Orb. Its pretty easy to install and when is the last time you've got a CPU die within 3 years?

think about, there is less risk in actuially running an aftermarket cooler than the stock one provided you install it properly, and how are they going to know you used an aftermarket cooler if you have to RMA it. its not as if they stick you in a room and stare at you until you give in and say "alright, alright i was using a blue orb instead of the stock fan". they'll never know you just have to send in the stock HSF if you RMA. also, technically changing the stock HSF in any way i.e. changing the fan voids the warranty, or so they say. aside from all that i think the stock fan is a non-standard size so you would have trouble replacing it.

you should be able to use a custom fan grill but i'm not sure why you'd want to, who looks at the back.

u'r actually taking better care of your processor by getting an after market HS+F.... may i recomment the Thermaltake Big Typhoon

@ nitestick,

Wow, that made me feel stupid, haha. Shoulda really thought of that. Thanks though.

@ cwiz,

I've heard the Big Typhoon is good, but I've also heard the Blue Orb II is good. In a review I saw, the Orb was actually better.

Anyone have anything bad about the Blue Orb II? It also fits in with my case in terms of it's blue neon. It's also cheaper than the Typhoon. I'll either get a Blue Orb II or a CPNS9500 I think it is, from Zalman.

One of my friends told me though, that aftermarket heatsinks can come loose or something, so they aren't good for LAN rigs. Well, my rig at the moment gets carted around a fair bit, maybe every two weeks. Is their any heatsink I should stay away from in that sense?

cyrax said:
Do you have to remove the motherboard to install it?

Nope:)

Just Screw it in.

Take the long thing, take the two long screws put them both on the outside, then put one half way in the other half way in then tighten them nice and firm:)

Really simple:) I can even show you a picture if you like?

but yeah its extremely straight forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom